RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Very Old Photograph

Old 11-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Very Old Photograph

Cn anything be done with this photograph? I wouldn't know where to start so would also very much appreciate lots of advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas & Patrick Original.jpg (26.0 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 PM

Gee. I don't know if I made it better or worse but it's the best I could do. Hope someone will step forward and do a better job.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Thomas & Patrick Original.jpg (87.1 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM

Looks good to me, Dave. Don't know if my attempt is any better - maybe just a bit less contrast.

Wombat, here's what I did....

- Converted to greyscale
- Converted back to 16 million
- Boosted contrast ~60%, brightness ~40%
- Reduced midtones a bit, highlights a bit less
- Cloned out white splotch near gentleman on left (their right)
- Selected his head/shoulder area, reduced slightly using curves layer

Hope this helps get you started.

- Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas & Patrick KSS1.jpg (29.5 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2004, 09:16 PM

The photo is looking great!! It's amazing what you can do when you know how.

The two gentlemen standing are Thomas and Patrick Kavanagh - now if I only knew which was which. Patrick died in 1902 and Thomas in 1914.

Can you guys recommend a website which explains in detail how to restore?

Thanks
Barbara
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 04:27 AM

Barbara,

I had a look at the photo (*1) and it seems to me that, of the three channels, it's the Blue that may have the best image. However the Blue channel is quite dark and also when you convert to JPEG to post, it is the Blue channel that suffers most.
There doesn't seem to be any color information so all we need is just one good channel to make a good grayscale.

Dave and Kurt have done pretty much all that can be done with the photo as posted. But there are some things that maybe you can do to jump start the restoration process.

1) Do you have the original? Can you scan it again? Most scanners have some adjustments, if so, adjust each of the channels (Red, Green, Blue) to occupy the full range.
2) Before converting to JPEG change the channels around. With the Channel Mixer put in: Red = 100% Green; Green = 100% Blue; Blue = 100% Red. That way the photo's Blue channel now occupies the Green slot, which is most favored by the JPEG process.

(*1) Duplicate layer <ctrl><J>, go to channels palette and select each channel in turn, apply Levels <ctrl><L> adjusting the black and white sliders to the maximum and minimum of the shown histogram.

Have fun,

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 02:12 PM

Thank you, Ro, for your detailed suggestions.

No, I don't have the original photograph. I'm not even sure who has the original. The copy came to me on a CD which had been compiled for a family reunion by my partner's second cousin (deep breath ... his great-grandfather's sister's great-granddaughter).

She lives some 450 kms away and I doubt that she would entrust the original to the mail system so there may be some delay until we can organise a weekend trip - with the scanner. In the meantime, I can practise adjusting channels.

Would it be worth having a copy of the file printed at the photo shop and scanning that? Or would too much detail have been lost?

You know you are dealing with an absolute rookie ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat47
Would it be worth having a copy of the file printed at the photo shop and scanning that? Or would too much detail have been lost?
Hi, Barbara,
No, not a good idea. Every time we pass a photo from one media to another we lose quality. The analogy to a (bad) photocopy is well-beaten but really is the best way to think about it. For now, let's just use it the way it is....
I'll take you through a guided "rookie" version of the (start of the)retouching process (almost without using layers):
1) Duplicate the photo (ALWAYS a good idea): Image>Duplicate;
2) We are going to need the Channels Palette so Window>Channels. Now you see four parts: the RGB original and the three channels, Red, Green and Blue;
3) Click on the Red Channel (*), if the other channels don't go away, click on the little eye thingy which turns the channels on and off;
4) Press <ctrl><L> to open the Levels adjustment. Click on "Auto" and the Black and White triangles will be adjusted. Move the middle triangle until you get a nice balance between lights and darks;
5) Repeat for Green and Blue;
6) This is the point where we look at each channel to decide which is / are the best candidates: Red - bad, Green - OK, Blue - Best;
7) Now Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Channel Mixer and OK the new layer. Now you are looking at the Channel Mixer. Select Monochrome. Put in the values Red 0%; Green 40%; Blue 60% and OK it.
8) Layer>Merge Down and you're through with the first part of the process and should be looking at something like the image attached.
(*) It's best to work lookin at the channels as grayscale images and not in color. If they are in color then Edit>Preferences>Display & Cursors and uncheck Color Channels in Color

Did you manage to get through all this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas-&-Patrick-byRo.jpg (92.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 01:57 AM

Ro, thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I suspect, though, that (1) we have different versions of Paint Shop Pro and (2) I'm really hopeless.

I can do the Split Channels and adjust the Red, Green, Blue but it all goes pear shaped from there. I think I'll have to buy a book.

Gave up with frustration and thought I'd have a go at something else. There's a bit of fading on Jeremiah's sleeves but I know how to fix that. Not too bad, I thought, for a first attempt.

All is not lost. I'm not too bad on making up composite photos. I was so proud of my first attempt last year that I posted it onto this site.

The person who I thought had the original of Patrick and Thomas is going to get it from her sister and we will scan it as per your instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeremiah Leehy Sitting.jpg (22.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Jeremiah Leehy Sitting Sharper.jpg (24.4 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat47
Ro, thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I suspect, though, that (1) we have different versions of Paint Shop Pro and (2) I'm really hopeless.
No, not (1) and definitely not (2).
It was I who forgot to ask which software you are using. Most folks around here are using Photoshop - so the execution will be different with PSP.
I think I still have an old copy of Paint Shop at home. If so I'll translate the steps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Aahhh... that explains why I was finding tools under different headings and the <ctrl> <letter> didn't work. Didn't think of a different program. Refer again to my point No.2.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help