RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Inlaws picture..

Old 11-17-2004, 03:45 PM

Hi Barbara,

alas, there isn't 'one' Tutorial including everything needed for restoring old pictures which come with many different problems....

Tutorials, usually, deal with one single problem and may be expanded to related topics ... but that's their limit....

So, my advice is to get a good book (keeping in mind your experience/level in using Photoshop or the software you have), read, save, print the tutorials you need ... (have you 'visited' our excellent Tutorials section?) ... stick around RP .... and just ask if you get stuck with a problem ... That's what I did and still do....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 12:23 AM

Flora and Gary. Excellent work! I thought I'd just add one where I tried to use the "minimilist" approach. After all, it is an old picture.

Adjusted the individual RGB levels, cloned, healed and patched some of the obvious spots and creases, did some selective levels, dodge and burn and a bit of noise on background and left a bit of a halo around head and shoulders to bring her out a bit.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-inlaw_med_4.jpg (85.2 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 01:42 AM

Hi Dave, Nice work, the halo round the head really makes it pop. Was tempted by the minimalist look myself, it's usually the way I go. However, I've recently downloaded Neat Image, and I was aching to have a play with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 07:12 AM

Hi everybody,

Gary, Dave,

great jobs!!!! ... Not sure which I like best .... Gary's is 'cleaner, Dave's 'halo' is eye-catching!!!!

Here is the description of the steps I took for the restoration:

After stiching the two parts of the image together, Gary explained perfectly how to do it, I proceeded as follows:
  • Duplicated the background Layer.
  • Run Levels on each Channel to correct the colour and contrast. (See this post).
  • Used the Patch Tool to fix scratches and spots.
  • Duplicated the corrected Layer.
  • Run Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal Filter, Dark Dust first. The Filter can be downloaded free here.
  • Added a Layer Mask (Black=Hide All) to the D&S Layer and with a soft white brush I painted on the Mask to show the corrections.
  • Merged Visible. (here is how to do it without losing the underlying Layers)
  • Repeated the Polaroid Dust & Scratch Removal + Layer Mask, for Light Dust on the newly merged Layer.
  • Merged Visible.
  • Used Neat Image (medium settings) to minimize the noise on the last merged Layer. (Neat Image can be downloaded free here ).
  • To add dimension, I created a 'Luminosity Mask' (Ctrl+Alt+~), copied it on its own Layer (Ctrl+J) set its Blending to Screen, added a black Layer mask (Hide All) and, with a soft white brush, I painted over the mask to reveal the brighter underlying features (lady's face and parts of the dress) ... Adjusted the Layer's Opacity.
  • I used Curves Adjustment Layer, (a couple of them using their Layer mask to reveal/hide selected features), to further balance Shadow/Highlights.
  • Created a Shadow Mask, (Ctrl+Alt+~= Luminosity Mask > Ctrl+I = Invert = Shadow Mask), copied it on its own Layer (Ctrl+J).
  • Used USM to sharpen the shadow Layer only ...

Don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions about my description....

Last edited by Flora; 11-18-2004 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 AM

Hi Flora, excellent work, as we all expect from you. I was interested to read your work flow. It was remarkably similar to my own, with the exception of the shadow layer, and shadow sharpening. It really made a difference, and I shall certainly be using that technique in future. Thanks for yet another lesson.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 06:25 PM

Thanks Flora your work flow was very helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2004, 04:15 PM

Thank you Flora and evryone else that has replied with advice. Flora, I will be able to walk through the steps you provided this weekend and will hopefully post a finished version Sunday. Thank you once again for all the help.

David Bazzelle
bazzelle@gmail.com

Last edited by bazzelle; 11-19-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2004, 03:39 PM

Wow finaly finished this picture. Please let me know what you think..
Added the before picture.

David Bazzelle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final post.jpg (21.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg before.jpg (17.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 AM

Hi David, really nice job. Just one question, there appears to be a series of vertical lines on the wooden framework behind the woman, these do not appear on the original. Are they there on your restore, or is it due to trying to accomodate the 100K file size limit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2004, 07:59 AM

They are on the restore, it is my attempt at a wood grain. After bring the details out in the lady it started to look like she was pasted on the background so I was tring to add more details to it also.

Thank you for taking a look..

David Bazzelle
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help