RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Inlaws picture..

Old 11-17-2004, 12:14 AM

Inlaw's picture..

Well bad news here, this picture was given to me to try to remove some of the spots and it was left where my two year old son was able to get a hold of it. Now a tear needs to be fixed. I felt comfortable removing the spots but now I am having a tough time piecing it back together.

Also if you could help bring some detail out in the picture I am hoping it looks so good that my wife’s mother forgets that the original was torn. Any help and or prayers would be appreciated!

Here is a link to the picture....

picture to be restored

Also if you need to be able to email me fixed picture and your provider dosn't allow large attachments I have some gmail invites. Or if you just want an invite let me know.

David Bazzelle
bazzelle@gmail.com

Last edited by bazzelle; 11-17-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 02:33 AM

Are you looking for help and guidance or for someone to do the restoration for you? For some reason I can't open any of the files to have a look, or I could possibly give you some guidance on where to start the repairs. Unfortunately, if you are looking for someone to restore the picture I am not in a position to take on nonpaying projects at this time.

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize. You mention having the "fixed picture" e-mailed to you, which sounds as if you want the entire photo restored. I'll try to look at the photo when I get home and see if I can maybe give you a pointer or two! Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 03:07 AM

Hi Bazelle, Not prepared to do the whole restoration for you, how will you learn if someone else does it for you. However, if you want to know how to fix the tear, try the following.

Copy image to a new layer. (You should now have 2 layers, bacground & Background copy.)

Activate background copy and select filter/extract. Outline lower torn portion and extract.

Now move extracted lower part with move tool and align with upper segment.

Crop to show full image.

I attach an image to show this done. Have also increased picture density by copying to another layer, and setting blend mode to multiply.

Good luck with your restore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inlaw_med_4 res.jpg (91.3 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 AM

Hi David,

Welcome to RP!

... Maybe it's our willingness to help that gives the impression that, here, we restore/retouch pictures on commision ... We don't!

What we do here is helping people find their own way to work on pictures by means of examples, advice, step-by step descriptions, tips, tutorials etc....

Here is a sample of what can be done with your picture. If you like the result and would like to try, just let me know and I'll post a detailed description on how I got there .... If you'd rather have your picture restored by a professional, you colud try our Work/Jobs Forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_inlaw_med_4.jpg (99.2 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM

Flora I would be interested in seeing your step by step procedure
Thanks Chuck
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 08:16 AM

Sorry for making it sound like I wanted some one to do it for me.. Well, that would have been nice After posting message last night I was able to fix the tear and remove most of the blemishes. Now I am working on getting the color corrected. Flora, what you did looks great, if you could help with the color I would be greatful. I am using Photoshop.

David Bazzelle

Last edited by bazzelle; 11-17-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 AM

Here is a link to a slice of the picture I have been working on. Can anyone help me fix the color/contrast??

http://www.thediskdoctor.com/restore.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 01:11 PM

Hi Chuck, David,

thank you for your feedback!

I'll write and post the step-by-step description ....

David,

...I' still dowloading your 'progress' picture .... (where I'm staying at the moment (until next March) I have only an incredibly slow dial-up connection ... sooo it takes me ages to download/upload anything .... )

I think you did an outstanding job in 'stiching' the two parts of the picture together!!!!

As for the tone/colour correction, I'll post my description tomorrow the latest ... (In my corner of the world it's 21:10 )....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 02:14 PM

Hi Bazelle, was a bit brusque in my earlier post, so decided to have a play with your image. Hope you like the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inlaw res_filtered.jpg (78.6 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2004, 02:28 PM

Flora, can you please direct me to a tutorial on restoring old photographs.

Thank you
Barbara
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help