RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Color shift, honeycomb texture, and mold ..which Problem to Tackle First?

Old 11-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thumbs down

Thanks for the reply Ro. While reading your post, I noticed a keystroke error in mine, but it is now corrected.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2004, 05:18 PM

Thanks Ro

Is it possible for you to provide screen shots that identify the stars. I can't seem to identify them properly. Also, how much cloning is necessary? Hard edge? Radius? Is the mark in the centre a star? I've had the FFT for a while and only once was I able to see and clone out stars and get a half decent result.
BTW, "thick" probably should be replaced with "stubborn" but when I look at my skill level when I first started at RetouchPro and where I am today, I must say everyone has helped me tremendously along the way.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Is it possible for you to provide screen shots that identify the stars.
Here´s the before and after of the Blue and Green Channels (just hope they get attached in the right order!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Also, how much cloning is necessary? Hard edge? Radius?
- Clone just the minimum to take out the brightest stars.
- Soft edge, though it probably doesn't make any difference.
- Didn't write down the exact settings but the radius was about the size of the center of the star (pretty small).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Is the mark in the centre a star?
No, that's the picture's useful information - don't get too close to this. I'm planning on writing a tutorial for this - by then I hope to have some illustrative examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
"thick" probably should be replaced with "stubborn"..
Now that's definitely wrong. The fact that you're here discussing this eliminates those possibilities!!!!

Frannymae, please don't get mad at me! I know I wasn't supposed to fix the photo. But I did have to test what I was saying.

Rô.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nell100k-FFT-HSB-Blue.jpg (99.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Nell100k-FFT-HSB-Blue-After.jpg (98.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Nell100k-FFT-HSB-Green.jpg (99.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Nell100k-FFT-HSB-Green-Afte.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Nell100k-byRo.jpg (95.7 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2004, 07:17 PM

byRo, don't be silly! I appreciate the visual aids! I just didn't want anyone to thing I was looking for the work to be done for me, that's all. I'm a firm believer in the "Teach a man to fish.." school of thought.

So, now that I know how to bait my hook, I'm off to the fishing hole! Great information, and very well explained. Thanks to everyone for this enlightening discussion!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2004, 08:17 PM

Tasty yummers, Ro! I can end up with a pretty good FFT using the black channel in LAB but can't figure out how to incorporate it back in the image and get color. I am working on an older PS platform and don't see the HSL/HsB filter anywhere. Do I really need it? In any case, whenever I mess around with the Blue Or Green channel in RGB, running FFT results in a black channel.
What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 03:26 AM

I think your image needs to be grayscale.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Tasty yummers, Ro! I can end up with a pretty good FFT using the black channel in LAB but can't figure out how to incorporate it back in the image and get color. I am working on an older PS platform and don't see the HSL/HsB filter anywhere. Do I really need it? In any case, whenever I mess around with the Blue Or Green channel in RGB, running FFT results in a black channel.
What am I doing wrong?
Dave, I haven't figured out all the details yet but:
1) If you send a colored image to FFT it will separate out only the luminosity information.
2) If this Alex guy was a RP member maybe he'd have put the FFT information directly into the RGB channels, but instead of that he put it in HSB terms (although I'm not sure what corresponds to what). So yes, you do need the HSB filter. Also, if you change the Channel information before going to HSB, everything just gets all mixed up.
3) I'm using PS 7.0. The HSB is not installed by default, but it is on the CD under "Goodies". Not sure about other versions. (Help, somebody????)
4) To incorporate the result back in you put the resultant grayscale image on a new layer above the original colored version (remember you duplicated the image?) and set the blending to Luminosity.

Wow, I think we're writing a tutorial here - anything else??

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 AM

Hi everybody,

I seem to have finally solved my connection problem!!! (just keeping my fingers crossed!!!)

I had tried the FFT filter, but, knowing absolutely nothing about it and, therefore, using it in the wrong way, the results I got were much less than satisfying ....

Roland, you really are an incredibly good teacher!!!!! After reading your posts here, I'll try FFT again knowing which shoulder I can cry on if I don't get it right!!! (Tutorial?)

Using 'my' method for removing texture, its alignment isn't vital so, up to now, the order I usually followed is:
  • Discolorations, colour blotches.
  • Overall colour.
  • Mold, scratches and other damage.
  • Noise/Texture.
  • Tone, contrast, dimension.
  • Sharpening.
This 'order' may change once, but specially "if", I ever learn how to use FFT for which, from Roland's posts, I now see the importance of alignment!!!

For Photoshop CS users the HSB Filter can be installed from the Goodies\Photoshop CS\Optional Plug-Ins\Photoshop Only\HSL & HSB Filter found on the Installation disk.

FrannyMae,
you know I'm also "a firm believer in the "Teach a man to fish.." school of thought." (that's the reason for my usually long 'detailed descriptions') but I'm also convinced that the combination of a written (or verbal) description together with a 'visual aid' is even more helpful....Soooo, I hope you don't mind me posting now the result I got using my method, and later the one I hope I'll get using FFT....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Nell100k.jpg (99.7 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Is this FFT thingy for PC only? I downloaded but my mac couldn't read it.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 06:30 AM

Hi Kiska!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska
Is this FFT thingy for PC only? I downloaded but my mac couldn't read it.
kiska
.... so sorry, but I really can't help you there ....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help