RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

opinions please

Old 10-30-2001, 06:17 PM

opinions please

I have been asked to restore this photo. It's very bad but the job is important to me as it could lead to a lot of work. The lady who owns it is the president of the local historical society so I would like to imppress her. There are no other photos of this little boy. It has been through a flood and is very adly damaged. Do you think there is a way to do a good job of it or is it beyond repair?
http://www.photorenovate.com/restor/bushboy1.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 06:50 PM

Smile

Sanda,
You definately have your hands full with this one. If ever there were a beyond repair, this one might be it. I'm not sure what to tell you on this one. You may be able to make it better than it was but I doubt you will be able to work a miracle and that's what this one needs. Maybe you could locate the worst channel and try replacing it. Hopefully someone else can step in and help you better than me. Good luck.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 06:59 PM
Janitor

Yikes!

I'm afraid what you'd end up with here would be more of a painting than a restoration. Which is not to say it couldn't look great, but I couldn't do it (I can't paint).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 08:33 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Wow! That's a tough one. No suggestions from me except that maybe Tom could add something to the comments. He works with historical images and he doesn't try to make them look as if they were made yesterday. That certainly doesn't mean his work is no good -- it's just the opposite! If this is for a historical society, Tom's approach might be just the ticket (provided he has some answers).

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 08:53 PM

Wow - this definitely looks like a "miracle" is needed!

That being said, I took the liberty of downloading it and looking at it in the various modes. I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you change the photo into CMYK mode and then look at the C channel only. If it were me, I would start from there! (You can copy just that channel into a "new" photo - or probably use the channel mixer to achieve the same results (I'm not too clear on that, but I think so.))

Good luck - this seems like a doozy. Please let us know if you decide to work on it and how it turns out!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 10:18 PM

Neat photo. The chances of restoring it to pristine original are, at this time, pretty dismal. However, try this;
(1)Convert to CMYK. Make C channel active, select it ( CTRL or CMD A) copy to clip board ( CTRL or CMD C).
(2) Convert to LAB mode, make L channel active, select it and paste the C channel into it.
(3)Convert to RGB and duplicate the background.Set blending mode to Luminosity. The canvas should still be selected( marching ants--you know) pressShift-Ctrl/Cmd-V .
(4) set the blending mode of the new layer to mulyiply.
(5)Flatten-use clone to clean up the grossest white blotches and basically forget the background. Use curves to adjust to taste.
(6) Use hi-pass filter to sharpen ( be warned- sometimes it is best to skip sharpening or restrict it to a very gentle application as sharpening will bring out the damage as well as the detail)- duplicate layer apply high pass filter under "Filter>Other" with a setting of around 3.2 to 4 then change blending mode to overlay and flatten.
On a damaged photo like this, I generally try to catch as much of the main object of attention as possible but for historical photos I avoid any substantial clone tool work etc. which in any way would further distort or blur the image. Just my rambling and generally semi-disoriented musings--Good luck Tom

I attached a lo-res example of the results--hope you dont mind my presumptive action of down loading your photo. I mean no disrespect. I didnt do any clone work, etc. on the example. Tom

Last edited by thomasgeorge; 10-30-2001 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 10:26 PM

Tom
No offence taken re the dowloading, I'm grateful for all the help. I have been wondering where I should start with this one and you have given me invaulable assistance.

Everybody else
thanks for your opinions this photo is a nighmare but I so want to try to restore it. The lady says there are only two photos of this boy/man. This one and one when he was 75 so she would love to have this restored. Thanks again for your suggestions atleast now I have somewhere to start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2001, 11:37 PM
Janitor

I felt kind of bad about my "abandon all hope" post, so I played around with it a bit. I feel with a higher-rez version and sufficient motivation (guilt only goes so far) something more could be done with this.

Quite honestly, I never intended to post this so I didn't keep track of the steps (yeah, Doug, where have we heard that one before?).

I do know I first split the channels and worked exclusively on the red channel.

First I adjusted levels.

Then I knocked out the white spots by duping the layer, running threshold, inverting, blending in 'darken' mode, and turning the opacity way down until they disappeared, then flattened.

I then duplicated the layer and ran the 'dust and scratches' filter on it with the threshold pretty high and used "darken" mode.

Then I erased (using low opacity eraser) the important bits like the eyes, outlines, toes, fingers, etc., letting the original details show through.

Finally, I flattened, adjusted curves, and ran the Photoshop "sepiatone" action on it.

I know I forgot some stuff, and probably inverted a couple of things. I'm a bad example for you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-2.jpg (47.0 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2001, 09:06 AM

Sanda,
I too followed the thread and thought that the photo was almost beyond hope. Though I kinda' agree that guilt can only get you so far, (But mom won't believe that) sometimes on a project like this, a little artistic freedom is a warrented. What I would do in such a situation is to go ahead and get it up to the point where you are satisfied with the results, (Great instructions Doug/Thom!) save it, and continue the restoration to the best of your ability (i.e. probably painting). That way you have two options to give the customer.

Good luck and let us know what's going to happen to this pic.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2001, 09:26 AM

Sanda
I knew if you were going to get some good help, this was the place to come. They're a great group arn't they? Sounds like some pretty good advice too. Wish I could have been more help. I couldn't even download it to play around with because I'm still using another computer til mine's fixed.
I think any improvement you do is still better than the way it was. And I'm sure they knew it was pretty far gone to expect miracles so don't feel like you're letting them down. With some of the techniques these guys have laid out and your own natual talent, you'll do great. Trust me I never lie.
Don't forget to fill us in on the results. Good luck.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help