RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Time to change shirts.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:21 AM

Time to change shirts.

What is the best way to change the color of a shirt? I have selected the shirt with rhe magic wand but am not sure of how the change the color from a pale, washed-out denim to a deep maroon withou losing detail (buttons, creases, collar, etc. Is Image>Adjustments>Replace Color the way to go? Thanks, one and all and hope that 2005 brings Peace and contentment to all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 AM

Can you post the picture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Replace Color is one method. Another is to use Hue/Saturation. Make sure Colorize is checked and move the Hue Slider until you get the color you want and fine tune with Saturation.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 09:20 AM

Pale jeans, not a shirt, but what I did here was:

Hue/Saturation adjustment layer (Hue +119 Saturation +67 Lightness -74) WITHOUT colorize checked, masked to affect jeans only.

Then sampled new color of jeans and on a new layer with Hue blend mode painted over the contrast stitching (which had turned a fetching shade of green in this example). If there wasn't any contrast stitching then you could skip this layer.

Then on a new layer with Color blend mode filled the jeans selection with the sampled new color and lowered the opacity of the layer to 60% (this reduces the muddiness of the shadows, but if you do it at 100% (which I think is logically much the same as having used Colorize on the original Hue/Saturation layer) then it all looks a bit too uniform and artificial). Thinking again I might even take the opacity of this layer down below 60%. It will depend on the shadows in your particular image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denim.jpg (99.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 09:34 AM

Thanks, guys and gals. I will go the Hue/Saturation routine as I really don't understand the Replace Color scenario. Boy, it sure would be nice if Photoshop ever came out with a manual that used less words and more examples. If it wasn't for people like you with your excellent tutorials, Photoshop would be one more of life's mysteries. Here is the original photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LARRY RP Copy.jpg (49.2 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Nice work Leah...

I would however avoid using hue/saturation at all in this situation...I just created a solid fill layer that was a nice deep shade of maroon, set the blend mode to "Vivid Light", filled the mask with black, and painted the shirt back in with a white brush. I have found that vivid light works very well for changing the color of clothing without losing the texture, I use it quite often when colorizing too.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maroon.jpg (9.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 PM

Replace Color

Check out the Using Replace Color tutorial on this web site!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the steer to the great tutorial, T Paul. MB, I really think that Vivid Light is the way to go. Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChamberlain

I have found that vivid light works very well for changing the color of clothing without losing the texture, I use it quite often when colorizing too.

Michael
I haven't tried vivid light for colorizing...guess I will have to check that out. Thanks for the new tip!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2005, 02:21 PM

I tried the Vivid Light tip and what I'm finding is that it completly changes the color I originally picked. Personally I've had much more success using Multiply as it doesn't seem to change the basic "tonality" of the chosen color. Then I just change the opacity to suit. But it's really what works for each individual member.

On the original pic posted here, I find neither Hue/Saturation nor Replace Color worked particularly well. There needs to be good "middle" tones for either to work properly. That's why working with a color layer and blending as Michael suggested works better, at least for this pic.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help