Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Repairing faces in burned picture

Old 01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Repairing faces in burned picture

I have a partially burned picture in which the faces of the 2 people in it is the only thing I can't repair. The picture in the link is the original, without repairs. I would appreciate advice on how to remove the discoloration from the faces without altering the underlying features. There are small areas unburned in both pictures. http:/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Hi bookworm14,

Welcome to RP!

I didn't worry about much else but the faces of the couple on your picture... (I just removed the scratches and, partially, the noise on them...)

To remove the burnt spots I used the Red Channel (the least damaged), I run Levels on it to adjust tone and contrast; I, then, created a new empty Layer (Blending>Normal) and, with a soft Airbrush (opacity 10-30%), sampling lightness/darkness from surrounding areas, I carefully painted over the damaged spots.
I created other 2 empty Layers (Blending>Overlay and Multiply) and with a soft black/white brush, I emphasize selected areas on the couple's faces to acheve a 3 dimensional feeling.

I also got acceptable results using:

1) Hue&Saturation targeting and sampling the 'Yellows' of the burnt spots, decreasing the Saturation and incresing Lightness.

2) Selective Colors decreasing to 0 the 'blacks' in the Reds and Yellows.

Please, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_BurnedPhoto.jpg (98.4 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help