RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

where to Start with retouching image

Old 01-21-2005, 06:39 PM

where to Start with retouching image

Hi All

am new to photoshop and my D70. Just took this picture of my son(good pose for him since he usually makes faces when i take pictures of him)

Im not sure where to start to retouch and make this picture something special. Any ideas and suggestions would be great. Maybe some other background for starters .. any ideas would be great..

I've view alot on this site and there is some great work out here.

Thanx in advance for your help

Sunkist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img0332.jpg (82.8 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Hello again,

The first thing you should do with ALL images you intend on working on is duplicate it to a new layer, then adjust the Levels and Curves, that will give you a well based image to work from.

I would then start by removing the tuft of hair using the clone and healing brush tools, whilst you have the tools open, you can remove the food from the face.

Other considerations:

Blemish Removal
Background Softening
Eye colour adjustment
Sharpening of the eyes and lashes
Neutalising the lips to an even tone
The eyebrow on the right as you look at it could do with a little reshapening
Skin tone correction
Dependnig on your skill level, perhaps paint in some new teeth.

That should be enough to give the image a nice makeover, make sure you post your results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 10:56 PM

Hi Axleuk

Here is what I have done. Feed back is welcome

Thanx for all your help

Sunkist4338
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img0332.jpg (97.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Hey thats looking really good. Might i suggest that you rotate him around so he is sitting upright a bit more ? You also have a little fringing on the right hand sid of the hair ( you can colour dodge that out with a soft brush ).

Keep it up, looks great !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist4338
Hi All

Im not sure where to start to retouch and make this picture something special.

Sunkist
I'm not sure what you mean by something special. You've got a fantastic looking kid with a great smile. It's a terrific casual pose so you may want to keep the context informal. You could tweak the skin tones a bit but it's not that bad. You could lop off his cowtail but to me that's whats makes the picture endearing. Hell, I'm 56 and have one and my wife loves it!!. Certainly the background could go but be careful. I've put a background with different light and cropped his cowlick just to show you that if you're not careful you might turn a pretty good pic into something less than ideal.
Hopefully there will be some good tips coming. I myself wouldn't do a makeover for a member of my family, but whatever you take from the tips given here, I hope also that you will post your results.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Img0332.jpg (86.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 AM

I agree with what you are saying in principal DUV, i would do a member of my family simply because i thought they could be made beter, but rather use them as subjects to judge your abilities.

I dont think, nor do i think you are suggesting that sunkist4338 has a 'need' to retouch the picture, i think its just a bit of funa nd practise with a subject you are familiar with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Sunkist, what you have done looks very nice. In portrait photography, quite often you'll see the subject backlit or sidelit to seperate the subject from the background. Of course, when you are replacing a background it becomes all the more critical to get a good subject extraction which I haven't but maybe it will give you some ideas or possibities.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Img0332.jpg (86.7 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 AM

Looking for Fun ?

although that is a nice photo I was wondering if you were trying to have fun with your son on this one ? get him involved ?

if so maybe you'd enjoy one of my little pass-times... Find a photo he'd like to be in then get him to pose for it... if you put a solid bright color behind him as he poses it will be easier to work with as well as improving the results...

The idea came to me as I was visiting a sister with lots of grandkids... but without a setting in mind I really didn't get them posed as well as I'd have liked... but still it was fun and the kids loved them...

below is a link with some more Photo's .. it was at one time a money making project that never did but might be worth a look for ideas.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/i/sidetrek/zzzzzINDEX.HTM

enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gabby_moose.jpg (92.7 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Patron

Portrait

Well the D-70 is a great camera. I like the hair and the mustard on the face. Its boyish. Its up to you what you want the picture to look like. Personally I would leave pretty much alone although I may blur the background some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 08:12 PM

So many good idea's

thanx again for all your ideas.

I do like that it is a natural picture. He usually make silly faces and its hard to get a natural pic of him.. I said something funny to him and got this picture. Yes I do agree it is a boyish pose.

Sunkist
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help