RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Gangstaz - Restore

Old 01-25-2005, 09:32 AM

Gangstaz - Restore

Had this one come in yesterday... looks like a fun project. Not a lot of detail left in the features... the original is a 1996 inkjet print from what was probably a low megapixel camera. The print is sepia and fading fast! Would like to work through this with some discussion on methods and postings...

I have a full JPG image file available

http://takeyourbestshot.com/Images/M...l_Original.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rachel_Small.jpg (98.9 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2005, 06:52 PM

First Attempt

Hi JGeddes
This is my first attempt at this, still trying to work out the clone,patch tool,contrast among others things.
open image and select rectangular marquee tool, make a small selection where it as good contrast.
Then click on Create new fill or adjustment layer, Curves,Options click on Enhance monochromatic Contrast, click okay.
Select Brush and brush over remaining photo.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample1.jpg (98.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg sample2.jpg (98.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 01:40 AM

Hi,

Romany,

Great Job! .... Not an easy picture to work on ...

JGeddes,

You've said it all about the problems of this picture!!!!
I had a go at it .... not really happy with the result but here is what I did:
  • I duplicated the background Layer
  • I created a 'Luminosity Mask', copied it on its own Layer setting the Blending to Multiply (adjusted its Opacity) to balance the highlights/faded spots. (the action for creating a Luminosity Maks can be downloaded here).
  • Duplicated the Luminosity Mask Layer and set its blending to Overlay to increase the contrast.
  • I used A Curves/Levels Adjustment Layer to tone down the lighter parts of the image.
  • Merged Visible ... the action for merging 'visible' without losing the underlying 'steps' can be downloaded here.
  • Working on the Merged Layer, I used the Patch Tool to remove the worst scratches.
  • I used the Hue&Saturation to change the colouring.
  • I Used Dust&Scratches to smoothen out the noise.
  • I used USM To improve Contrast and Sharpness.
  • Finally I darkened edges and corners to make the group 'pop' out more. (the action for darkening Edges and Corners can be downloaded here).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Rachel_Small.jpg (98.2 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2005, 07:51 AM

Increased clarity

I am impressed with both examples submitted! sorry for my delay, got a bit sidetracked.

Romany, I thought you did a fine job on this difficult piece, and not just for your first attempt! I wasn't able to get any more out of the image than you were... maybe less... Like flora said... I am not happy but that's the best I can do with it.

Flora, your example has a lot more clarity than mine. I was always working against "too soft - no detail" or "more detail - too sharp" I really like the balance you achieved.

I tried this photo in a number of ways.
1. I converted it to B&W using the Hue and Saturation layer method.
2. did no USM heavily then used dust and scratches and tidious hand word to remove the remaining imperfections.
3. No USM (I think the image lacked sharp focus to begin with) then worked on the over blown areas and scratches.

My method of adjusting the dark and light areas is different than what you both used:
I create a 2 layers from the background layer. I turn off the background and turn off the top layer. I adjust copy 1 using the curves adjustment under image adjust. I only concentrate on the area I want to change. then I turn on copy 2 layer, create a mask and paint that layer to gain the exposure I am after. Kinda like a crude "dodge and burn". I use gaussian blur on the mask to soften the blending and use varying degrees of opacity will painting. If I don't like something, I reverse the foreground color to white and repaint the area. this removes, depending again on opacity, the brush strokes I had just laid down. I do this tow or three times on an image like this to work in the light areas - then work in the dark areas. I lock and merge creating a snapshot at each stage.

I don't have a arsenal of filters and actions - but judging the results, I will go shopping at the action links provided! thanks for the tips! and the different method explanations.

Were those finger prints difficult on that guys face or what!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rachel_Pair3.jpg (83.1 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2005, 07:23 PM

Hi JGeddes,

Great job on a difficult restoration!!!!

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your technique!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help