Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help me with my picture?

Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Simply amazing Flora! Beautiful results as always!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Man That is beautiful Flora, I am sure i would love to have how to make it like that, Wow your result is just amazing.
Make a little tutorial?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 AM

thank you so much for your kindness!!!

thank you for your kind words!!

...And here is what I did:

I work with PS CS, but for this restoration I didn't use any of the CS 'only' Tools.
As you can see from the Layers attachment, I use Layer masks a lot .... and I always adjust the Opacity of my corrections' Layers until I'm satisfied with the result.
I have attached a snapshot of all the layers I used for this restoration, so you can better follow the steps I took.
  • Cropped the picture
  • Duplicated background and run Levels on the duplicate to improve contrast lightly.
  • Used the curves to tone down the blown out (white) parts. (used the Layer Mask to show/hide the corrections ... see Layers attachment)
  • Merged visible (the action for merging 'visible' without losing the underlying 'steps' can be downloaded here.)
  • Created a luminosity Mask, copied to its own Layer and set the Blending to Multiply. (the action for creating a Luminosity Maks can be downloaded here.)
  • Duplicated the Luminosity Mask Layer and set its blending to Soft Light.
  • Throghout the restoration, I created 'my' usual variety of empty Layers ( Blendings: Lighten, Darken, Multiply, Overlay, Soft Light and Normal), and with a soft white/black brush (Opacity 10-30%), I carefully painted over the details I wanted to correct and enhance. (this goes back to what T Paul said about "working with small selections to fill in the areas that have no detail, bit by bit...." )
  • I used the Patch Tool to even out the dark lines marking original and corrections.
  • I used the Levels to further improve Tone and Contrast.
  • Merged visible and duplicated the Merged Layer.
  • Run Neat Image (very soft settings) on the merged Duplicate to partially remove the noise.
  • Created a Luminosity Mask and run USM on it to increase the contrast a bit.
  • Created a Shadows Mask, copied to its own Layer and set its blending to Overlay. (the action for creating a Shadow Maks can be downloaded here.)
  • Merged visible, duplicated the Merged Layer and added a Hide All Layer Mask (Black) to the duplicate.
  • I strongly Blurred the underlying Merged Layer.
  • Working on the Mask of the duplicate, with a soft white Brush, I painted over the parts of the picture I wanted to uncover ... (the girl)
  • Used USM again for a final contrast boost.
  • Finally, created a very soft vignette to darken edges and corners, to make the girl 'pop' out more. (the action for darkening Edges and Corners can be downloaded here).

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layers_a.jpg (97.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 PM
wow great tutorial

Thanks again

I will rewrite tonight at friends
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help