RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I need help removing chain

Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Hi, I'm new to the world of photo retouching. I'm trying to remove the blurred chainlink from this photo. I'm a beginner with photoshop. I am good with a computer. I tried to remove the chain with the clone stamp. That worked some what. I would think that there would be a way to remove the blurred chain and retain the information behind it. I have a few pictures like this, that I would love to clean up. Any help on how to and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-1.jpg (65.2 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 04:08 AM

Hi apw63,

Welcome to RP!

I had a go at your picture.
I don't know which PS version you are using ... If it's PS7 or higher, you have the 'healing Brush' in your Tools Palette... That's what I started with...

Before you do anything on your picture, remember to never work on the original ... make a copy of it, rename it, and save the original in a safe place!!

In my working copy, I usually also always duplicate the background for the following reasons:

1) If I don't like the results of my corrections, I can quickly start from scratch..
2) I always have a quick comparison at a click of the mouse...

Working on the Background, I used the Healing Brush set to 'Replace' on the discolored spots.
To correct the discolorations on the 'cat', I created a Brightness&Contrast Adjustment Layer, decreased the brightness and increased the contrast ...(the whole picture looked weird at this point ...).

Inverted the AL Layer Mask from white to black and, with a soft white Brush (Opacity 30-100%) I carefully painted over the discolored parts, to reveal the corrections under the mask.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_cat-1.jpg (99.7 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 10:39 AM

Thank you Flora, You did a great job. I don't think that my skills are quite up to the level needed. I'm not quite sure about using the healing brush. I will read what I can. I will have to read up on working on the background, Brightness & Contrast Adjustment Layer and Inverted the AL Layer Mask from white to black. You have given me a starting point. I will play around with a copy of the picture and post my results.

Thank you again. This site is the best I have ever found.

Andy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 04:10 PM

Have gotten to this point

I used the heal brush to replace the chain. I made a adjustment layer for brightness and contrast. This is where the picture is now. I can not figure out what you mean by inverting the adjustment layer mask from white to black and painting over the discoloration on the cat. I'm using photoshop 8 cs. So far am I on the right track.

Thank you for any help
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40754zoo-copy-2.jpg (66.6 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Hi Andy,

...me again....

Thank you so much for your kindness .... and so glad you 'found' us

Just give me time to take some snapshots of the procedure I followed and I'll get back to you ....

P.S. .... You did a great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2005, 06:39 PM

.... here is how I did it:

Every time you create an Adjustment Layer (AL), it comes with its Layer Mask (white=Show All)...

For your picture, I created a Brightness&Contrast Adjustment Layer, adjusted the values of Brightness and Contrast until I was satisfied with the result .... The parts of the picture I wanted to change were, now, 'corrected', but the rest of the picture had been affected too ... so everything looked very dark and 'muddy'. (Attachment 1)

To fix that, I had to 'hide' the global corrections I just made, and to reveal them only on the spots I wanted to change (discolorations) .... This is achieved by Inverting the AL Mask (Click on the mask to activate it and press CTRL+I to invert it) ..... Now your AL Mask should be black=Hide All). This procedure brought you back to how your picture was before your Brightness&Contrast AL! .... (Attachment 2)

This is where the 'fun' starts .... Working on the black Layer Mask, with a soft white brush (adjust Opacity ... you could start with 30-40%) gradually paint over the chain discoloration to reveal the corrections hidden by your mask!!! (If you make a mistake and paint over something you didn't want to, just change the colour of your Brush from white to black to 'hide/erase' your mistake) (Attachment 3).

I was getting there ... but not yet satisfied so, I created a second Brightness&Contrast Adjustment Layer (values in Attachment 4) and repeated the procedure.

On the corrected parts the colour was a bit off, so, to finish, I created a new blank Layer, set its Blending to Color, and, with a soft brush (Opacity 30-60%), sampling colours from surrounding areas (with brush Tool selected, keeping the 'Alt' key pressed, click on your picture to sample the colour you wish to use) I corrected the colour of the fixed areas. (Attachment 5)

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0002.jpg (99.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0003.jpg (99.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0004.jpg (49.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0005.jpg (91.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0006.jpg (98.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2005, 01:28 PM

help with chain

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I should be able to work on the picture tonight. I will post my results. With your "how to" I should be able to get some good results.

Thank you
Andy
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2005, 04:38 PM

Hi Andy,

You are welcome!!! ..... Looking forward to seeing your end result!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2005, 10:57 PM

This what I have

I got this far. Its better, but not to the level I would like. I have not gotten adjusting the color quite right. What you were talking about in the last step. The fur on the cat is blurry on mine but not on the one you did. I was not sure about painting over the fur on the cat, as in step 3. I did not paint over the cat but I think I should have. I understand the steps that you gave me. I just can't get it to the level I would like. I need more practice and experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-retouch.jpg (60.6 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2005, 08:04 PM

The best I think I can do

I had another try and I think I did very good. Let me know what you think. Thank you for all of the help. What I learned from you will help me with a lot of other projects.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-best-cat-post.jpg (62.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help