Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

FFT Madness

Old 02-16-2005, 02:40 PM
FT filters

MB, T Paul,

If you have any thoughts for a Mac system..... In Adobe Photoshop, in the Plug Ins file, FFT and IFFT are listed. So, it would seem, they are loaded, but I cannot find they way to call them up or use them. They do not show up in Filters like Neat Image, Poloroid D&S, (that's another issue). I do not see any listing for Alex Chirikov. I even corresponded with him and it appears I was doing everything correctly in down loading and placing the files. So?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
With Photoshop CS, I believe you have to install third party plugins in a separate folder than the regular plugin folder. You must then instruct Photoshop to use this additional plug-ins folder. To do this, go to Photoshop's Preferences menu, and then add it to the list labeled 'Additional Plug-In Folders'. If you have just upgraded to CS you may need to reinstall you plug-ins to get them to work.

I have also read that Photoshop CS requires OS X versions of plug-ins and will not load or run MacOS 9 (aka "Classic only") plug-ins. Many plug-in vendors have updated their plug-ins for Mac OS X.

Last edited by T Paul; 02-16-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't know how much help this is, but the additional plugin folder required needs a "legacy number" before it will recognize new plugins. That number is your serial number. When it asks where the plugins are located, make sure that particular place is selected as well. If not, then Photoshop automatically assumes your plugins are located the default area.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:52 AM
What is FFT and Where To Get It?

I've been reading about FFT filter in several areas of the forum, but cannot find any information about what it does and where to get it

Can someone please tell me?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Sweet-P,

FFT stands for Fast Fourier Transform, it is a way of transforming an image from what we are used to seeing (pixel values at pixel locations) into a new image that contains information about the relative strength and direction of the component frequencies. After doing the transform, the image will be completely unintelligible to us humans, but all the original information is still there and an Inverse FFT (IFFT) will return us "exactly'' to the original.

Obviously just transforming (FFT) and inverting (IFFT) by itself isn't very useful. The great trick is that when we examine an FFT we can easily detect, and eliminate, small points that represent an overall repetitive pattern superimposed on our image.

This pattern could be due to photos printed on (old) embossed-type paper or some other process that left repetitive lines on the image. If you read through the thread that T Paul suggested above "Which problem...." you'll see a discussion of the use of this tool.

(IOU a tutorial: I did have a tutorial written but my computer got knicked. Should have a back-up around here somewhere)

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Here you go Sweet-P.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks to both of you for the information (still trying to process it in my mind ) and for the link.

I will look for that tutorial as soon as you have it uploaded, Ro!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help