RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Image Extraction,

Old 02-16-2005, 06:56 PM

Exclamation Image Extraction,

Hello All,

I have been shooting digital for the past 3 years. I recently purchased a blue, and green chromokey muslin backgrounds. I have been taking some pratice shoots with some of my prefered models.

The main purpose of purchasing the chromakey backgrounds was so i can apply any background of my choice to the subject.

My problem: Ok, i am having problems extracting the subject from the background. I also seem to get some bleed through on the subject.

I have tried using the photoshop integrated extractor, and Extensis Mask 3 pro.

Bottom line is i am not getting the results i have seen elsewhere, or some other folks get.

So, i would like to know how everyone here does it. Tell me about the programs you use to do it with. Show me, teach me. I need help please.

I am sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Regards,

Alex...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM

no doubt every response will be different

not counting those loose strands of hair which I never have mastered I like just using the eraser brush.

often a solid brush but in close. but once I have finished with that I like to feather it this way.
use the wand to select all the empty space.. then ... select/modify/expand.. the number of pixels depends on the size of the photo.. just enough so you see the "marching ants" move in a bit.... then ... select/feather... the same number of pixels ... then .. cut (ctrl/X)

you can achive the same thing with a soft eraser without the feathering but besides being time consuming it's not as uniform..

some people also just use a blur after expanding a few pixels.. maybe with a feather on that too..

anyhow if you get into that "select" menu you may find something you like.

good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 PM

Hi Alex! Welcome aboard!

Just a couple of suggestions.
If you type in Chromakey in the search engine, you'll find some discussion on this topic.
Check out this software: Digital Anarchy Primatte Chromakeyer 2.0; Nova Design Cinematte; Ultimatte AdvantEdge.
Make sure your client isn't positioned too close to the backdrop. Check your lighting carefully for spillage onto the subject'

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Arrow

Any more ideas? Please post them.

Thanks Dave for the input, and the software tips. I will give them a try. I am anxious to get something working.

Regards,

Alex...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agillette
Hello All,

I have been shooting digital for the past 3 years. I recently purchased a blue, and green chromokey muslin backgrounds. I have been taking some pratice shoots with some of my prefered models.

The main purpose of purchasing the chromakey backgrounds was so i can apply any background of my choice to the subject.

My problem: Ok, i am having problems extracting the subject from the background. I also seem to get some bleed through on the subject.

I have tried using the photoshop integrated extractor, and Extensis Mask 3 pro.

Bottom line is i am not getting the results i have seen elsewhere, or some other folks get.

So, i would like to know how everyone here does it. Tell me about the programs you use to do it with. Show me, teach me. I need help please.

I am sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Regards,

Alex...
Hi Alex...

Welcome to RetouchPRO from me, too.

My suggestion: If your need is urgent RUN (don't walk) to your local bookstore and eyeball Katrin Eismann's newest book, Photoshop Masking & Compositing, ISBN: 0735712794. There's an entire section on blue/green screen techniques and she addresses in detail how to deal with this exact issue.

Besides this topic, there are many advanced selection techniques that would be helpful for any pro to know.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Thumbs down

Hello all,

I just wanted to post an update for everyone about my issue with extracting subject from a green or blue chromakey background.

I would like to specially thank Dave, you helped me resolve my issue.

Digital Anarchy Primatte Chromakeyer 2.0 is what almost everyone should use. I downloaded the demo, tried it out, and to my surprise! It worked like a charm. I would say it removed 99.999% of the background, and left no spillage on the subject. It did such a great job, that i went ahead and requested it through our purchasing department (Wife, ROFL!).

I would recommend this to anyone that is interested in doing the same thing. My personal eperiance with this program/plugin is great.

I would also like to thank those who participate on these forums. Because of you, pleople like me keep coming back. Keep making these one of the best placeing to hang out. Not to mention the learning value of it is immense!.

Regards,

Alex...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help