Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

good old rgb cmyk prob

Old 02-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Exclamation good old rgb cmyk prob

Hey all,
I'm a new member with a few years of commercial retouching experience, will try to help out with others problems. Have got a fairly urgent one myself...

I've got a client who gets their images supplied in RGB (since the files are being published in a variety of publications) however, the resulting prints i've seen so far are very muddy, especially compared to prints from other photographers who i'm sure are also providing them in RGB. my monitor's calibrated, and i'm giving them the right RGB colour space. i know there's no exact control i can have over this, since i'm working in rgb, however, i was wondering if anyone knew about some general guide perhaps, something in the RGB values i should be looking at that might help me out.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Can you post an example to narrow the problem down a bit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 06:28 PM
sounds like a problem with the the printer and ask them to send you theirs...then you should be able to convert it to CMYK with that ICM and get resonably good results
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 09:37 PM
The RGB colorspace is much larger than the CMYK space, so there will be losses in that direction if you don't take that into consideration. Try softproofing in CMYK, or even working in CMYK mode (there's very little loss going from CMYK to RGB).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help