Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

create lighting effect on people

Old 02-19-2005, 06:56 AM
create lighting effect on people

I would like to know if it is possible to create good lighting effect of special lighting (eg soft box, strip light etc.) on an image as if you actually set it up in the studio. what I mean is that I want to recreate an image I saw in a book about lighting and people. this picture is fantastic . It uses lighting like softbox and strip with reflector. The picture is rather dark. The softbox is over head the subject is looking up definition of jaw is prominent. Stip light to the subjects right and a reflector to the subjects left. Another light light is pointed on the background. What my queation is can I take a regular picture of my model with regular natural light then use photoshop to recreate the lighting of how I want the image to look like. I cant send the original because I dont have the copyright to this image. so I hope that you guys/gals have all the information to visual what I would like to do. I'm a newbie at photoshop. I do know that there are lighting effects in photoshop but have not really used them. Maybe someone can suggest a good book on this or some tutorials on this site or other site.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Someone may have a better answer than this but I would think the real problem is creating realistic shadow detail on the face. You might have to use a combination of Lighting Effects and the Gradient Tool.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi Sunkist - I read your posting yesterday morning and was giving it some thought. Later that day, I was looking at all of the books at a local book store on Photoshop when I came across a really great book on lighting effects. It's available on Amazon for $29.95.

Creative Photoshop Lighting Techniques (A Lark Photography Book)
by Barry Huggins

I found this book to be very interesting and it goes into a lot of details. Heck - I have to buy this one for myself.

Hope this was helpful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 06:36 AM
Personally I don't think the lighting effects filter is that good at this sort of thing - though I'm sure other people would not agree, PS is like that! I'd use layers & masks to paint in altered shadow & highlight detail. A lot depends on just how far you have to go - I mean how much you need to change. If you're starting with a fairly soft, even light & going for a more contrasty, shadowy light you'll find it easier than the other way around.

As always the key is to carefully study what is happening in the picture you are trying to get to, then use PS's tools to make the changes. You really must be able to see how the light is working & replicate what it is doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
it would help to see the picture but you can do a lot with this....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help