RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Flesh tone experts - help!

Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM

I think I understand one thing...

Thinking about this over breakfast.

Further up this thread I wrote a list of the samples that looked better to me, as opposed to the ones that I perceive as washed-out. I think I said they were the ones that took into account the blown Red channel. I think what may be the reason is that those samples in some way also corrected for the colour imbalance between highlights and shadows. In the case of my own submission, this was pure coincidence! I was just trying to restore structure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 03:51 PM

By the numbers, and unclipping

This new member has been lurking and reading the tutorials and past posts. Many of them are way over my head, and I was not about to open my mouth to show my ignorance. But this thread is so interesting that I just cannot resist. So be gentle. My technique is based on two sources: using curves and correcting by the numbers per Margulis, and applying skin tone numbers per Eismann. Here goes:

1. Set three Color Samplers: #1 for white point at the bright reflection on the lower lip, #2 for black point on the black of a pupil, #3 for skin (at the middle of her left cheek right beneath the eyeball, the numbers should read something like 254-175-100 in the Info Palette).
2. On a curves adjustment layer, drag each individual rgb channel so that #1 ends up with 245-245-245, and #2 ends up with 10-10-10 in the Info Palette, or something close to these numbers.
3. #3 now should be something like 245-178-149, which is within range of Eismann's recommended number for Caucasian skin 213-172-129 (boy, was she precise!)
4. On the curves' green channel, cntl-click at #3 to add a point and drag the curve a bit. Ditto for the blue channel. #3 should end up with 245-182-157.

The result is the first attachment. I was going to attach the curves acv file also, but noticed that it may not be an acceptable extension. Any hint?

Then I applied the unclipping tutorial by Senor byRo, and the result is the second attachment. Muito obrigado!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lene_curves.jpg (87.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Lene _unclip.jpg (87.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 PM

Very nice!

But after byRo hinted on the highlight/shadow colour cast problem with this shot, I notice that the shadows are too red.

The problem now is that I have moved from "can this picture be fixed somehow?" to "how to make this portrait perfect?"

Next step now will have to be to go visit Lene (I didn't see her yesterday) to establish a visual check on what she really looks like!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 12:17 AM

hpycmpr..good to hear from you again. I'm glad you plunked into this thread. On many levels it reaches to what retouching and correction is all about. Personally, I don't buy into this too yellow too red consideration by Ro. I'm sure I'm probably wrong. At least, in the original image I don't see too red. I certainly see (by way of the picker) greater red in the shadows..so what? Maybe I'm missing something (usually am) but most images I look at (see attachments) have higher red relative to the other colors in the shadows. So how is Ro coming to the conclusion that there is too much red in the shadows? Is it objective? Subjective? Is everyone seeing something that I'm not in the image? I'm feeling like an old, geriatric twit.
You're image certainly looks better to me after being Ro clipped but you could also come close by additional curve tweaking. There really is something to be said for working by the numbers and the KISS principle.
Images with clear black, white (and even better grey) points are relatively easy to correct. Images like the one posted here is a combination of making sense of skin tone percentages, personal preference..and common sense.
You've done a good job, maybe lacking a tad in Cyan ( personal only). Stay involved and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. We can all learn from you as well!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-Desiree Two.jpg (99.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg D-Portrait-Bara.jpg (86.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg D-Mandy9.jpg (78.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
most images I look at (see attachments) have higher red relative to the other colors in the shadows.
Hmmm, the first one looks natural until I have looked at the two others and come back. Then the first looks pale. On the other hand, she has "perfect" light, almost no shadows at all, so what did she really look like? The second uses a half kg of make-up, uninteresting, and the third looks (haven't checked) like highlights are blown, not good. My eyes start to water again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Is everyone seeing something that I'm not in the image? I'm feeling like an old, geriatric twit.
Thanks, Duv. This is fun, but am I really equipped (eyes) for this at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
Images with clear black, white (and even better grey) points are relatively easy to correct. Images like the one posted here is a combination of making sense of skin tone percentages, personal preference..and common sense.
Exactly. In most images there is a white shirt that provides both white and grey. Two clicks, and you're done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
We can all learn from you as well!
At least I learn from every single contribution here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Janitor

I thought I'd share this simply because I dig the simplicity.

Duplicate the layer
Set layer mode to Color
Filter > Blur > Average
Ctrl-I to invert
Lower opacity to taste.

That's it. I finished it off with a Levels layer, but just the highlight slider to simulate a full tonal range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lene_Orig[1].jpg (64.4 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 AM

Hi Doug, nice technique to add to the arsenal. Did'nt understand what you meant by Filter/Blur/Average, so applied a Gaussian Blur of about 4pix, but this seemed to work fine. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Janitor

Perhaps it's only in Photoshop CS. It simply sets the entire layer to the average tone for the image. Kind of like Gaussian Blur set to infinity pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback, yeah, must be a CS thing, because I'm using PS7 and it's not on there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx
But after byRo hinted on the highlight/shadow colour cast problem with this shot, I notice that the shadows are too red.
Have you tried selecting shadows and highlights and work on them separately?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help