RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Flesh tone experts - help!

Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr
#1 for white point at the bright reflection on the lower lip,
I don't think this is a good idea. The reflection on the lips is not a "natural" white, the real colour at this point actuallly would be a red. As I see it, this point is a forced (blown-out) white which doesn't depend much on the actual lighting of the ambient. Thus you will be correcting what happened after taking the picture and not the lighting at the time of the picture.

Maybe the white of the eyes will do, but I haven't tried that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpycmpr
Muito obrigado!
Disponha. É sempre um prazer ajudar. (You're welcome, it's always a pleasure to help)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Blur > Average is a PS CS thing.

The technique that Doug posted is the technique that I've been tearing apart to better understand what colour cast is and how to fix it.

The basic idea in that technique is to compromise between hue and sat (Colour blending mode with Opacity to taste).

Two things going on:

1. Hue is being manipulated in a manner similiar to this: bc_huesquish1.jpg.
Hues are expanded and contracted, as it where. Or, as I like to call it, Squish Factor. You might be able to do that with a Hue/Sat adjustment layer, but I haven't tried.

2. Saturation is being lowered based on difference between the original saturation and the saturation of the colour cast looking to be blasted. The greater the difference, the more sat is left alone. The smaller the difference, the more things get desaturated.

Based on those observations, different methods can be found.
Or variations to suit different situations.
I'm still working on it - and it's a lot of work.
Wish I had more time for this.
Ah!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
...Based on those observations, different methods can be found.
Or variations to suit different situations.
I'm still working on it - and it's a lot of work.
Wish I had more time for this.
Ah!
Take it easy. I wish you good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Duplicate the layer
Set layer mode to Color
Filter > Blur > Average
Ctrl-I to invert
Lower opacity to taste..
Although I really don't have time for this, I had to try.

WOW!

Like Gary, I have PS7, but used a Gauss radius of 250. I gave the inversed layer 20% Opacity, and the same to a 100% Saturation layer, and the result was as good as all the second best ones.

One interesting effect though. Try a Curves layer on top of this. If you do an S curve and pull the top part down, you get a red picture. If you pull it up, you get a yellow picture. ????

Doug, can you explain why your technique works and how?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 PM

I tried the Blur:Average method the other day and discarded it as the picture looked too monochromatic. I have had success in the past using this. So the problem may be:
a) the woman really is lacking in color
b) the original picture is overexposed going in
c) this method is inconsistent in its results
d) I'm a twit. This picture is just fine. She looks great.

One thing I do like is the way it easily adds Cyan to the mix which I was having trouble acquiring with curves and levels.

With all the renditions submitted by the "experts" I can't wait to see a new picture of this lady from Vegard.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
So the problem may be:
a) the woman really is lacking in color
I am not sure. I don't think so. But the lighting was absolutely horrendous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
b) the original picture is overexposed going in
It was, and as I've said before, all the "best" ones have applied some sort of technique that affects the Red channel in some way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
d) I'm a twit. This picture is just fine. She looks great.
You are. Me too. We're all pixel freaks around here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
One thing I do like is the way it easily adds Cyan to the mix which I was having trouble acquiring with curves and levels.
Cyan? Cyan! It drives me mad! I hate Cyan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
With all the renditions submitted by the "experts" I can't wait to see a new picture of this lady from Vegard.
I just succumbed to peer pressure and called the lady in question, and I'll see her on Tuesday. She agreed to having her mug shot taken again, this time with flash, to get a reliable white balance. (I wonder what colour her hair is...) Hmmm, I might even get a good shot of her This time no 10D though, but my own A2.

Oh, and by the way, they've printed the photo and hung it on the fridge door
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx
I just succumbed to peer pressure and called the lady in question, and I'll see her on Tuesday. She agreed to having her mug shot taken again, this time with flash, to get a reliable white balance. (I wonder what colour her hair is...) Hmmm, I might even get a good shot of her This time no 10D though, but my own A2.
If possible, could you also try to get a bounced flash shot? Direct on camera flash I find pretty nasty.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
If possible, could you also try to get a bounced flash shot? Direct on camera flash I find pretty nasty.
Dave
Sorry Dave, I have no external flash for the Minolta I used to have a Metz for my Nikon FE2 (still have it), and bounced it all the time, but it will not work with the Minolta
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 PM

On "going colour blind"

My young violinist friend (16) and I were practising last night, and we discussed the concepts of visual light being only one octave as opposed to the audible spectrum being at least ten. We also had some fun with the keyboard. As expected, he found the 7/10,000 difference to be "vast" After playing for a while, we had to stop, as it sounded "awful". One of his strings was at least 0.5% off (It is very cold here now, so his violin had been subject to some temperature change, and had possibly not yet fully reached room temperature the first time he tuned it.)

So much about hearing, but here's the interesting part:
He told me that in ear training classes at school, they have to stop after about half an hour, as everybody is exhausted and unable to hear the difference between anything at all. This doesn't happen if we're playing real music. The ear remains keen.

If we translate this to Photoshop, it may be interpreted as the difference between actual seeing and studying "artificial colour" as we do, sitting here squinting at the screen. In real life, with "live" colours, we have absolutely no problems at all, just as we had to stop playing because of an apparently minuscule error in the tuning.

I know that professional wine and liquor tasters chew biscuits between each sip to neutralize the taste buds. Should we do the same? Take frequent pauses and look at "live" colours for a while?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 AM

Hi Rexx!

I think this picture had 2 problems:

gradation problem: it had no white point
colorcast problem : neutrals are disapeared

to solve the gradation problem U should set a white for the picture by the levels or the curves

colorcast problem all of the neutrals are colored so what i did that change the consist of neutral colors in the seletive color correction +7C -7Y +3K
skintone became ok for me some hue/saturation changeing i did too change the reds less saturated and the colorcast moved to yellow +7
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help