Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

WWI Photo of Grandfather

Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 PM
WWI Photo of Grandfather

Greetings to all Members...

This is my first post. I'll try to follow the rules. I received 6 scanned images of now deceased family members. This one is of my grandfather and his brother at the start of WWI. The photo was taken in Windsor Ontario in 1917. The scan is a 17mb file at 600dpi if that matters. I have access to Photoshop 7 and would like to be able to do a restoration on all the photos. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate on Photoshop. I have been working thru the book Restoration and Retouching by Katrin Eismann. I've been experimenting as best I can but have not been satisfied with the results. I can crop, adjust basic levels, use healing brush and clone tool but I just can't seem to make any real dramatic difference. Is the photo too far gone for me to expect anything better? There seems to be a major lack of detail.

Regards, Rob Kessel Las Vegas, NV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windsor_1917 for web.jpg (96.7 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 AM
I'll say upfront that I am by no means an expert on P/S , but your photo caught my eye because I restored a simular picture like this only from WW2 it had even less detail and was heavily damaged. I think your image has more detail so you should be able to get good results since you have a high resolution sample.

How I restored my image was to mask off areas of the image according to the values, ie Sky, clothing, building ect. and work on each of these area's seperatly , this way the intensity of one action would not damage or create an extreme on a more delicate area of the photograph. Overall it was quite successful and I was pleased with the result {keeping in mind where I began} if I do find a copy of it I will post it here to let you see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi there and welcome to RP.

I had a very quick go at your photo and hope this helps some. The screenshot shows the steps I used. I was unable to get much detail in the faces and so at the end of the levels and curves adjustments, I added a grayscale on top and burned lightly over the faces, which brought out the detail I was searching for.

I made no attempt to correct the dust/scratches, etc. and have to admit to wanting to leave an old photo looking old except where important details are.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1.jpg (99.6 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Deleted and leaving this forum due to the actions of member rondon

Last edited by chrishoggy; 03-22-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 10:00 AM
My attempt is much like Chris'

1. Duplicated Background Layer-Dust & Scratches filter 5/1
2. Levels Adjustment Layer
3. Channel Mixer 50/30/20 check monochrome
4. Empty Layer, select healing brush and clone stamp tools
5. Empty Layers with Softlight Blend and Overlay Blend
6. Merge Visible-Neat Image with 45% Noise Reduction Amount
7. Flattened
8. Duplicated Background Layer
9. High Pass Sharpening @ 3.5 and Softlight Blending mode.

I didn't crop. I like to see the background in these old photos

Attached Images
File Type: jpg windsor_1917.jpg (43.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 01:01 PM

Well I duplicated the background layer. Used a levels adjustment layer. Used the Channel Mixer and primarily used the Blue Channel. I used neat image and the Unsharp Mask Tool. I cloned away the wrinkle in the photograph.

I didn't crop the photo either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the help

Hello and thanks for the help.

I have been studying my Restoration and Retouching book today along with your responses. I have taken notes on each of your restorations and will incorporate them into my restoration project. I keep putting off the project because I keep getting the feeling I'm just not good enough yet. I think I just have to dive in and go for it. I'll know if the results are good or not. It's the old story "there's always something better." I just have to be happy with my end result.

Thanks again,

Rob Kessel
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help