Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

White-out conditions

Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Bravo! Bravo!

Flora your very clever at this, that picture is superbly done! I am sure Don will be very happy to see it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Thank you, Flora for your efforts. that's a huge difference from the original. It looks great! You are truly amazing. Forgive me for asking, but, can you go into a bit more detail about how you used the shadows and curves with this? I have not used that option before.

Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2005, 07:39 PM
My attempt

Sorry if this isn't what you are looking for. Perhaps just a differnt approach to consider.

First, I used the lasso to isolate the man's shirt (sloppily like), and copied it to it's own layer.
Then, on the "Shirt" layer I Rendered Clouds and Difference Clouds and adjusted the levels to be a bit whiter, followed by the Render Fibers filter.
Finally, I changed the layers Blend Mode to darken and lowered the opacity to 25%.

What this does is simulate a bit of shadow ( folds? ) within his shirt that I think helps break up the contrast and adds a bit of texture. Of course, as mentioned before, if you overlayed an actual image of a shirt with texture and shadow than all the better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldcouple.jpg (97.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Legacy~, dc57,

thank you so much for your great comments!!!

Here is how I did it:
  • Duplicated the background, named it 'Mask', inverted it (Ctrl+I), and used the Levels on it to get an acceptable mask ... (attachment 1).
  • Still working on the 'Mask' Layer, press (Ctrl+Alt+~) to select its luminosity.
  • With the selection still active (marching ants), click on the 'eye' at the left of the Mask Layer to make it invisible ... after which click on 'activate' the background Layer, press Ctrl+J to copy the selection to its own Layer and name it 'ShadowMask'
At this point you should have 3 Layers, from the bottom:
1) Background.
2) ShadowMask.
3) Mask.
  • Activate the 'ShadowMask' Layer and run a light Filter>Blur>Motion Blur on it to minimize the 'lines' (adjust Layer Opacity)
  • Create a Curves Adjustment Layer and apply the values as in attachment 2.
  • With a soft black brush (Opacity 40-100%) paint over the parts you'd like to restore to the original or nearly there .... (adjust Ajustment Layer's Opacity)
  • Merge Visible. (the action for merging 'visible' without losing the underlying 'steps' can be downloaded here).

My final Layers' Palette: attachment 3.

P.S. the action for creating a Shadow Maks can be downloaded here.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-0010.jpg (44.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0011.jpg (36.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-0012.jpg (34.6 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Flora and TylerRB,
Thank you for the step by step instructions. They will be a big help to me. I have found another picture that I can take a shirt from. When I get time I will try to transfer it over and let you all have a look at it. I'm sure it won't look as good as what's been done already but, maybe I'll get lucky.
Thanks and take care
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Well, better late than never. Here it is but, I don't think it came out too well. Sometimes It's best to leave well enough alone. I found another shirt and pasted it in as best I could. I cleaned up a few scratches and gave it a little blur. It doesn't look too bad on a 3 x 5 print But, I'm sure I could have done alot better if I knew what I was doing.
I want to thank everyone for all the help and suggestions with this one. I've learned quite a bit from this forum. There are some very talented people here.
Anyway, let me know what you think.
Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample3_filtered.jpg (96.0 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help