RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Strategy for scanning for archive

Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 PM

Strategy for scanning for archive

I am going to get started on scanning my negatives and slides.

A couple of years ago I bought a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED, so I should be able to do scans of up to 4000 dpi.

What would you suggest I use as a strategy for this project? I would be grateful if anyone could point me to webpages with good info.

Since I do not know what these pictures will be used for, I guess the best would be to do a raw scan and save the results on DVD's? Then I can take advantages of any advances that are being made in processingsoftware later.

Does this sound smart, or do you have a better idea?

I use Fotostation for cataloging my pictures and like to add all info to the pictures before burning them on DVD's. That way it follows the pictures even if my computer goes down.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 PM

4000 DPI seems like you're gonna have some BIG files! You can never have enough resolution I guess. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Patron

Archives

Well about ten years ago I went through the process. Making Big files does allow you full freedom later. I believe the critical part of what you are going to do is on the database side. Naming the files, File Structure in the Archive, and Keywords. I started the filenames by using the year they were taken in. I set up several keywords using members of my family and trips etc. But planning is really essential.

If you are going to have one database for all of your files you can put those on your hard drive with a back up. In addition perhaps you might want to have a database for each DVD. That brings up the issue of the file path. I.e. The structure in your DVDs should be Volume Name>place the database at the top level. Then in the next level down> put your photos. Ie. Volume Name>Photo folder. Don't put the database file in the same folder as your photos.

I have used the archives a lot. It was worth the effort. I've pulled out several photos of a specific time period and turned them into movie format and this has provided a lot of enjoyment for my family and friends.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
If you are going to have one database for all of your files you can put those on your hard drive with a back up. In addition perhaps you might want to have a database for each DVD. That brings up the issue of the file path. I.e. The structure in your DVDs should be Volume Name>place the database at the top level. Then in the next level down> put your photos. Ie. Volume Name>Photo folder. Don't put the database file in the same folder as your photos.
This is where Fotostation shines. It takes full advantage of the IPTC fields. You can even add custom fields if you have the Pro version. So I always add info before I burn the files to DVD. The data is added to the picturefile. So no matter what happen to my pc, all it takes to add all data back is to put each DVD in the drive and let Fotostation open it as an offline resource. Also, the data follow the picture even if you make a smaller jpeg of it (if the program you use to resize support it). So if you let someone else have a copy, they can pull up the same information.

Even if I store the files on DVD, I will also keep them on hardrives. And I will make sure I copy the DVD's to new sets after a couple of years. Tests have shown that some CD's are unreadable after as short time as 8 months. And DVD's are probably not any better......
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM

relevant thread:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/input-output-workflow/9675-album-scanning-workflow.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Archival Scan Resolutions

Hi Oceanwatcher,

I’m glad that I stumbled across your posting. I provide archival services through my company. I have archived photos, negatives, and slides for many historical libraries and sites. The first question you have to ask yourself is what and how will your scans be used for? This is a very important question because this will determine the resolution you should use.

It is also important to determine what file format you will scan to. I will scan to TIFF image format because there is no compression or loss of file data. A TIFF file is an uncompressed file format therefore is not decreased in size when the file is saved. So large amounts of storage space is required. This TIFF file is what I refer to as a Master File. I archive the master files to media storage and will make JPEGs for local storage in the database.

With all that said, sometimes larger is not better. Determine how you’re going to use the files. Such as, website, low-end publications, prints for clients or researchers, prints for exhibition, high-end publications, etc. Each one requires a separate resolution.

Below is a table of possible resolutions for master image file capturing. This is only a suggestion and one that I use.

Original Size Resolution Pixel Dimension Size RGB Size Grayscale
1 x 2............5500 ppi......5600 x 11200....180MB........60MB
2 x 3............3000 ppi......6000 x 9000.......155MB......52MB
4 x 5............2400 ppi......9600 x 12000.....330MB.......110MB
5 x 7............1200 ppi.......6000 x 8400.....144MB......48MB
8 x 10...........800 ppi........6400 x 8000......146MB......48MB
11 x 14..........800 ppi.......8800 x 11200.....282MB......94MB

I know you are dealing with slides and negatives but you get the idea from the table. There is no set formula to follow. I have to use the scan resolution that is best for your applications.

Oh yea I forgot, I use Portfolio 7 from Extensis for my personal collection.

I hope that this helps a little.

Jon

Last edited by jonk; 03-24-2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Table to Show Up
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Hi can also recommend Extensis Portfolio for your archive database. In fact, I am currently working on an archival project for all my clipart collections, stock photos etc. I've collected the stuff for years and most of it came on CD and I am moving everything over to DVD and recreating the Portfolio galleries.

Yesterday I needed a Vector graphic of an alligator. Easy enough to go through my EPS galleries and keyword search on "Gator" and collect them to a folder for further review. With Portfolio, I was able to retreive about 60 potentially usable graphics for the project at hand in about 15 minutes.

For my digital camera files, I've set up "watch folders" and anything that gets changed in those and the next time I run Portfolio I get a visual cue to sync any folders that need updating.

The key is to be organized on your hard drive before burning out to CD. If you can do that, you'll be able to quickly retreive anything through Portfolio even if the archive copy has been burned out to CD/DVD and not even on your hard drive. You can see a thumbnail and by getting properties, Portfolio will tell you exactly where the original file resides. Great stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Thank you for all the great answers here.

First of all, I have no idea what the pictures will be used for in the future. So I think I owe it to my relatives, children and all to follow (I really hope :-) ) to use a format and size that will not limit the future use. I prefer to have one masterfile that I can use to make all other formats. I do not need to make a separate file for web when I can just downsize the masterfile whenever I need it.

So I am still interested to find out if anyone has any experience in using the RAW option with VueScan? What filesizes can I expect from a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED at 4000 dpi? Filmformat is 35 mm.

Archiving - I do not need to put any database on the DVD's. Fotostation do not have a central database. It uses the IPTC fields in the pictures itself. So there is no database that you need to back up. The picture is its own backup. Nice? :-) Also, if I make a copy of the DVD and give to someone, they can search through the data too since it is all there.

Another thing that is nice is that if I ever sell a picture to a newspaper or magazine, the data follows and the copyright data, caption etc. does not need to be supplied separately.

Hope I do not sound too stubborn. I just want as few limits as possible with the equipment I have.

Last edited by Oceanwatcher; 08-28-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 PM

there have been a couple scares about cd and dvd reliability and longevity. here are a few sites that might help you ensure a good archival cd or dvd:

http://www.ccssinc.com/cdr_dye_explained.php

http://www.mam-e.com/web/blank_4x_re...le_dvd-r.phtml

http://www.mam-e.com/web/cd-r_80_min...061225d1ed417a

hope these help.

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow