RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Batch Action question

Old 03-13-2005, 04:12 AM

Batch Action question

I need to make an action to change several images from tif to jpg. Also to change the resolution to 72.
!. Do I need to record the 'act' of opening the file?

2. Is it better to crop and set dimensions of the image BEFORE or AFTER changing res to 72. I realize the crop and dimensions will need to be done individually.

Thanks, kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 AM

Assuming Photoshop CS: You don't need to record an open command. There are several ways to apply an action to a batch of images, such as making a 'droplet' and dragging files onto it.

You can set the image's dimensions & resolution at the same time, if you choose to change just the resolution and keep the pixel dimensions the same, then you're not re-sampling (adding or removing pixels), so it can be done at any stage.

If you use the 'Save for Web' dialogue in your action PS will automatically save the image as 72 ppi (you don't get any choice).

Incidentally, Russell Brown has produced a very useful script for PS, allowing you to batch save files in PSD, TIFF and JPG formats, with different resolutions, sharpness, etc. He has also provided a video tutorial to show how it works:

See Dr. Brown's Image Processor 2.3 -
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 AM

William, thanks for the quick reply. I do have cs, sorry. I have not dealt with scripts before but have downloaded the one you suggested. Thank you again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 01:40 PM

If you decide to take the action/batch approach, here are a few considerations:

Unless you have compelling reasons otherwise, I would avoid using Save for Web in an action invoked by Batch. It has some peculiar quirks. File > Save as... (.jpg) is normally the way to go.

It's important to distinguish Cropping and Resizing. Engaging Image > Image Size to change the resolution to 72 ppi (and perhaps height/width) is different from applying the Crop command to physically lop off some of the image. Cropping requires a pause in the action to allow you to decide "how/where" to crop where Image > Image size... allows for hands off processing.

Since you're converting from .tif to .jpg, be sure to turn on Batch Destination option "Override Action 'save as' commands." This will suppress the .jpg options dialog with each file.

If you want to save the .tifs in the same folder as the .jpgs, choose Destination option "Save and close," too, otherwise specify "Folder" and the path to the destination folder.

HTH...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks, Danny. The images will be already cropped at their final 'look'. But they will be, for example, 10x15 at 240 res. Can I get it down to a 2x3 at 72 within an action? Or is that scripting? There will be several images ging on a web page.
kiska
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska
Thanks, Danny. The images will be already cropped at their final 'look'. But they will be, for example, 10x15 at 240 res. Can I get it down to a 2x3 at 72 within an action? Or is that scripting? There will be several images ging on a web page.
kiska
Sure. Here's how...
* Open one of the 10x15s
* Make sure the Actions Palette is visible (Window > Actions)
* Bottom of the palette: Click the "New Set" icon (looks like a folder). Assign a name, e.g., "Resize for web". This creates a new action set (folder)
* Bottom of the palette again: Click "Create New Action" - give it a name, e.g., "2 x 3 @ 72 ppi" and click the button labeled Record.
* Image > Image size (2x3 @ 72 ppi), OK
* File > Save as... (format = .jpg). Specify ANY folder or Desktop (it makes no difference at this point) and do NOT change the file name. Click Save.
* In the .jpg options dialog, specify a compression value, OK.
* File > Close
* Bottom of the palette again: Click the square icon to STOP the recording process. Action is ready to go.

Prep for batch processing
* If you haven't yet, create a destination folder where the .jpgs will go, e.g., \Destination. (Until you get the hang of this, it's usually a good idea for the Source and Destination folders to be different. Makes "do overs" easier if you have to. )

Batch processing:
* File > Automate > Batch
* Play (set, action you just created)
* Source: Folder. Choose: navigate to the source folder
* Destination: Folder, navigate to \Destination
* (x) Override Action 'Save as' commands

Click OK... watch 'em go!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 04:14 AM

Thanks Danny. I have dutifully printed the above instructions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Unless you have compelling reasons otherwise, I would avoid using Save for Web in an action invoked by Batch. It has some peculiar quirks. File > Save as... (.jpg) is normally the way to go.
Hi Danny,

Just curious to know what quirks you have found with using S4W in actions?

I don't tend to use actions all that often, but I've always used S4W when re-purposing images for web use/e-mail, most often via a droplet. (It used to provide smaller file sizes, not sure if it makes a difference these days). Anyway, I've not noticed any quirky behaviour, what have you found?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamD
Hi Danny,

Just curious to know what quirks you have found with using S4W in actions?

I don't tend to use actions all that often, but I've always used S4W when re-purposing images for web use/e-mail, most often via a droplet. (It used to provide smaller file sizes, not sure if it makes a difference these days). Anyway, I've not noticed any quirky behaviour, what have you found?

Thanks
Hello, William:

Here's what I've learned from the Adobe School of Hard Knocks (and a lot of testing).

SFW strips off EXIF and I believe color profile info, too, so files it generates can be smaller than File > Save as... (.jpg). But...

When SFW (Export) is engaged via Batch, it is useless to specify a folder different than the one recorded in the Export command via Destination=Folder/Choose (browse) and/or values in the File Naming section. The settings are ignored. The file name and destination folder are hard-wired in the Export command.

To change the destination folder one must record a replacement Export command.

To rename the files processed by SFW after the batch process completes one has to engage a 3rd party utility, Windows XP rename or the File Browser's Batch Rename function.

For those new to actions and batch processing these peculiarities are difficult to grasp. They make no sense, there are no error messages and no documentation on how or why SFW operates differently than Save as... (.jpg).

Heavy sigh...

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
For those new to actions and batch processing these peculiarities are difficult to grasp. They make no sense, there are no error messages and no documentation on how or why SFW operates differently than Save as... (.jpg).

Heavy sigh...

~Danny~
Thanks for explaning that Danny.

I always save jpegs from actions into the same Actions folder (stops me losing them!), so I hadn't noticed this behaviour.

I suppose this is down to S4W being produced by the Image Ready team; I would have hoped that the 2 programs would have become more alike over the years, but if anything they seem to grow apart!

Years ago I used Graphic Converter for jpegs, as PS was so poor at making them. Now I use S4W as I usually want the smallest possible file, so I like the fact it strips everything out. But I can see it could cause a few headaches with actions...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow