RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

help w/ JPEG

Old 05-24-2005, 01:11 PM

help w/ JPEG

I have a new digital camera and the first batch of pics are jpegs. I don't use jpegs much unless it's to make a copy a file (like psd) for web viewing, so, I rarely start w/ a jpeg image. Anyway, I like some of these pics and want to save them to a disk and possibly work on them in PS7. But, I'm under the impression that I'm limited in what I can do w/ these jpegs and maintain the quality. Can I sharpen them? Make them grayscale? Change size-they're huge?

Also, is there a way to save a file of these jpegs w/ thumbnail views rather than a bunch of numbers that I don't know hat they are??? Is there a way to save them on a disk w/ thumbnail view as well?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 01:31 PM

OK, first of all, for most part, the jpg images you have are perfectly valid images. You can save them to disk, print them out, etc., but I would also save a copy of them as TIF or PSD files.

If you've got any editing to do, work on the non-jpg versions.

The reason for this being that jpg is a lossy compression system, therefore each time you do a save after working on them, you will compound the degredation of the original image.

By using the TIF or PSD versions this will not happen, as both are lossless systems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM

Okay,so I CAN save the jpeg as a PSD or TIF which is what I'm used to working w/ anyway. I'd leave my jpegs as is, make a psd to edit and not have to worry about compression issues...thanks, I got it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM

What about the thumbnails?

I'm tired of looking at a bunch of numbers both in my file and on the disk.
i don't want to go through 20 pics before I get to the one I want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 02:02 AM

I use PS7, as my editor, so I use File/Automate/Contact Sheet to produce a contact sheet of all the images in a folder.

I then save it as the first image in the relevant folder.

Alternatively name it as CS(folder name), and save in a folder with other contact sheets.

Don't know which image editor you use, so this solution may or may not be of use to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 02:33 AM

if your using Photoshop the gallery or bridge will automatically display thumbnails, XP can display thumbnails of most graphics formats where a thumbnail is embedded in the file - this includes PSD files saved from Photoshop, the only ones I have found that don't display a thumbnail is PSD files created in Painter.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 05:15 PM

I use PS 7 too. Thanks for the good ideas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 07:31 PM

I used Gary's idea for saving a contact sheet and it worked great. I also wanted to save a copy of the contact sheet on my CD-RW w/ the pics. But, it said that it couldn't be moved/copied because the CD-RW file can't be altered. Why? I thought you could add things to CD-RW's that's what makes them different from a regular CDR??? I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inskip
Why? I thought you could add things to CD-RW's that's what makes them different from a regular CDR??? I think I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.
Here's the piece....
A CD-RW can be RE-written, but to do that you have to erase the whole CD and start over.
A CD-R or a CD-RW are both the same when it comes to adding files. When you "burn" some files to a CD you may see an option to close the CD or to leave it open. This is the difference. A drag-and-drop-type write in Windows XP should leave the CD open for other files, a session of burning using Nero (or others...) may close the CD.

Watch out for the option.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 AM

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not fully understanding how a CD-RW works
I don't remember seeing those options. I'm using a Mac, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow