RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Shutterfly?

Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Shutterfly?

Not sure if this has been discussed before. I am pretty impressed with a number of things about this place. Lots of different gift items, easy to use, and what I consider a darn good price. But I have not seen their work. Have any of you used them? Was the quality impressive? Any problems with them at all? And what about how you send the print fo them, how do the colors come out? Any adjustments necessaary? I appreciate any info ya'll can give on this. Thinking I am going to make my home printer (cheap Epson R200, but it prints beautifully) used for proofing only. Whattaya think?

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 01:03 PM

not familiar with them. how bout a link to their site?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 PM

Thumbs down

I have used them a few times and just uploaded my files to their site. Colors looked good and overall I was pretty happy with them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 12:55 AM

I am sorry, I guess I assumed everyone had heard of them - at least I can't stop hearing about them. It's www.shutterfly.com

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 AM

Shutterfly

Having put links to Shutterfly, Snapfish, and KodakGallery (Ofoto) on my web site as sources for photo prints and gift ideas, I too was curious about their quality. I placed small orders with each to see what their service was like - from Shutterfly I ordered a 12-month photo calendar.

I received the calendar within the time frame I expected, however to be honest I was not at all impressed with the packaging or the quality. The calendar is spiral bound and printed on flat matted medium stock paper. Overall the photos had a washed, faded look. The text (title, months, days, etc) and graphic layout was plain and dull. Overall a very unspectacular and disappointing result for $25 (incl. shipping). I had planned on hanging it in my office at work...thought otherwise after receiving it.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2005, 09:18 AM

thanks dawn

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks kschulz. This was some of what I was wondering about. Have decided to go ahead and give a few of them a try. MPix and Shuterfly both SOUND good, so I want to see for myself. MPix says and others have said they are so good, but even in the forums on the site there are quite a few complaints, but may be due to "user error" so who knows. Just going to make a few orders from a few places with the same files so I can see whats what out there. Thanks for your response.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 PM

If you order from shutterfly and like what you have on your monitor, especially in black and white, make sure you shut off their "vividpics" color adjustment. You can only do it individually when you are in "edit". They tend to really crank up the contrast leaving hotspots on foreheads, cheeks and noses. I don't like any kind of autocorrector, personally. That would be my recommendation if using shutterfly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 AM

I uploaded all my wedding photos and made albums for everyone with the custom text and captions. The quality was really nice and the prices fair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info on the books, graphx. I was wonderign about them, especially after hearing their calendars were not all that. I want ot be able to offer the books like those to my customers, so its nice to have some info beforehand on that. BTW both of their types of books are on sale right now, 20% off.

I cant find the color adjust thing anywhere, I wonder if htey still have this option. THe vividpics thing. Wil be placing my orders wiht Shutterfly and Mpix soon. Will let you all know how they turn out.

Dawn
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow