RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Best place for canvas printing...

Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 PM

Best place for canvas printing...

Who has the best range of sizes, quality and pricing in printing on canvas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 04:38 PM

There is a site called www.mpix.com, they offer canvas printing, you can choose either stretched or put on matte board. I have not tried them yet, but I plan to try their printing services for a shoot I am doing next month. I don't know of anyone else at the moment. They seemed pretty fairly priced too. If you do use them, or whoever you use, will you let me know how it works out for you? I would love to be able to offer canvas portraits. Just don't have the extra to play around with the option yet.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 PM

Thumbs down Millers Imaging

I've used Millers Professional Imaging for years, and have tried NC Tricolor, and H&H. Millers does the best job with their canvas, and print up to a 30x40. Burrell is the only other lab I know that prints 40x60 canvas. Millers offers two types of canvas, and I would only recommend the "old" heavy canvas. They also have fine art paper and canvas textured papers to print on. MPIX is their low volume branch that offers limited items from the full Millers line. Good luck! I think their site is www.millerslab.com

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 07:21 AM

Thanks, Heather. I had no idea that Mpix and Millers were related! I have always been told that Millers is a very good. In fact that is what alot of the pro photographers use around here. (That would be out in the boondocks) Now I feel a little better about trying Mpix for that shoot next month. Have you ever had any problems with Millers/ using their Canvas? I love your work by the way. You are very talented. Glad to have you here at Retouchpro.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Hi Amber,

Thank you
I've only had problems when I ordered a palette texture to the canvas (rarely). Occasionally if Millers employees are rushing your portrait (especially during Christmas) or just happen to overlook it, the palette texture on the heavy canvas distorts lines in the faces. So I only have the image printed onto their "old" canvas with a lacquer coat. Other than that, no problems. I would recommend if printing larger than a 20x24 on canvas to go with the canvas on masonite option. I've had to frame, pack, and transport too many 30x40s on stretch canvas to know occasionally it will get poked. The masonite backing is heavy, but it protects the print better. Plus framed, you can't tell a difference between that and the stretch canvas.
Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the great tips Heather! Did they fix the canvas that they messed up? I guess I am asking about how they take care of Customer service and is shipping within reasonable time frame? I was reading that on Mpix, standard could take up to 10 days, so I will probably have to go with the express shipping or I will be up to my neck in mad parents waiting on their photos! Thanks for the tips again!

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 PM

Excellent Customer Service

Having dealt with several labs before, I will say Millers has an outstanding customer service. When they printed a 24x30 with the texture distorting the face, I called up immediately, and shipped it back to them (on their tab), and received the reprinted version in three days. They will sometimes put a Priority RUSH on it (at no extra charge) if it's their goof. I know a professional photographer who has used them for 15 years, and loves them. I just wish they'd print 40x60 canvas!

How long of a turn around time do you normally quote your client?

Heather
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 AM

Heather,

Sorry for not responding sooner, we have had a series of unfortunate events around here! My dad almost lost his eye in an air compressor related accident, he will be having yet another surgery on his eye tommorrow (3 so far in 2 weeks.) My oldest son has been having severe asthma attacks, so I have him home and on the nebulizer (a breathing machine) every 4 hours, and my youngest (2 years old) fell and hit the coffee table and got 4 stitches in his forehead! So, I appologize for not responding sooner! I told the clients for the November shoot that turnaround time should be about 2 weeks after they put their order in. So hopefully it will go smoothly. I am still thinking about using Mpix, and if I have to I use the Rush feature. What I love about the mpix is that no matter how many photos you get it's still the same shipping, so shipping with Rush would only be 9.95. We live out in the boonies, so I haven't found a good lab unless you count Wal-mart 1 hour photolab. And most "pros" don't, so that is why I am looking for a good but reasonbly priced outsource lab. Thanks for your help, and again sorry for not responding sooner.

~Amber~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 11:59 AM

Ouch it hurts to be human, been doing a lot of the same recently, good luck with it all
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Whoa, Amber - you have your hands full! Don't burn out now. I hope your family's health improves.
Heather
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow