Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Printer R800 and color casting

Old 11-25-2005, 06:06 AM
Printer R800 and color casting

i use printer R800 to print my photos..
the problem that i suffer is the output of picuter seems having green color cast...

i tried to set the color managemnt for photoshop and the printer also the montar the same RGB photoshop 1998 ... also couldn't help me?

can anyone just help me to set the right color for all... aslo how to avoid that color casting
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2005, 08:32 AM

i had the same problem with mine a while back, only mine was that if there were a LOT of blues and greens in the picture, and a i mean a LOT, the blues and greens would tend to blend into a grayish tone when printed.

i did all the things you're supposed to do for this, change inks, clean the ink heads, re-calibrate the printer and even called Hewlett Packard and worked with one of their technical people for hours trying to fix this. in the end, we only helped improve this a tiny bit. oh, and there was a software update i downloaded from HP also.

this was before coming to retouchpro and learning more about color printing. the printer was great in all other respects, but there were just a few images with lots of blues and greens that wouldnt print right. this made little to no sense to me. it would print blues and greens just fine in other pictures.

what i've learned here on RP is that computers 'think' in rgb, while printers 'think' in cmyk and that the two dont necessarily align all the time. the rgb of the computer gets converted to the cmyk of the printer at print time and this doesnt always translate correctly.

now, i dont know if this is what's going on with your printer, but you can test this by converting your image to cmyk BEFORE printing and then see how it comes out.

also, check your ink levels; one or more cartridges may be getting low and it's quite common for prints to start looking a bit green when that happens.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 AM
R800 too

Hi. I've been using an R800 for over a year is so important to have your monitor calibrated correctly and your printer settings right on. I've not had any issues with it. In fact with its small dot size and coupled with a Sigma SD-10 I picked up a first place award in the first contest that I ever entered. The judge cited quality of detail and composition - can't argue with the man!

Myself and others on the Sigma forum at dpreview have found the X-rite Monaco Optix system to be best for our needs. It apparently gives the most accurate results with monitors over 1 year old (and they all seem to get there rather quickly). That may have changed recently with all of the new products on the market, but it's still a very simple and very accurate system to use.

Any questions? Just ask, and I'll try to help. Bear in mind that I'm not a technically oriented person. Primarily I go for what gives me the results that I want.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow