RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

I have a resizing question

Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM

I have a resizing question

I have an old wedding picture of my grandparents that is in really bad shape. I scanned the picture in at a resolution of 200, 1200, 2400. I thought that bigger was better, and started working on the 2400 resolution picture. After many hours and many layers, I saved my picture but something happened and the file became corrupt. I'm starting over, and I am wondering if I can use the scans I have but change them to a smaller file to work with. The picture originally is 2.5 inches by 4.25 inches. I am assuming a 5x7 will be my printing size when I am finished.

When I go to the properties of each file the
2oo resol. picture is 413KB
1200 resol picture is 9.54MB
2400 resol picture is 152MB

How can I make one of these files workable and which file is the best one to use?

This picture has really become a project of love

I have posted questions about this picture more than once - everyone has been so helpful - Thanks for all your help towards restoring this picture and giving me advice when my file became corrupt. Now I am starting over and hope you can help me here.

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 PM

Hi Karyn,

Sorry to hear you lost your work, sadly it happens, best advice I ever heard "Save early, save often"

Generally speaking, I find that the 300 - 600 resolution range provides a decent working scan, most of the time. Of course all pictures are unique, and occassionally higher resolutions do help in specific areas, but most times they just increase the noise and defects.

If I understand your question correctly, I would probably resize the 1200 or 2400 res scan to either 300 or 600 , possibly try both and compare the results. I'm sure your work will go a lot quicker than when working on a 2400 res image!

HTH

Chester
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Karyn, I found the numbers a bit strange. The 2400 resolution file should be around 4x the size of the 1200 file, however yours is 16x.

IF I'm doing the math right....

200px/inch: 2.5 x 4.25 x 200 x 200 x 3 = 1.3MB
1200px/inch: 2.5 x 4.5 x 1,200 x 1,200 x 3 = 45.9MB
2400px/inch: 2.5 x 4.5 x 2,400 x 2,400 x 3 = 183.6MB

Which would seem to indicate that the 200 and 1,200 files are heavily compressed and the 2,400 not so.

For working: If your final image is to be around 5" x 7", then taking an upper limit of 300px/inch, you'll need 1,500 x 2,100 pixels.
So you could take your uncompressed 2,400 file, which has dimensions 6,000 x 10,200 and scale it down to quarter size (1,500 x 2,550).

Hope this makes some sense to you.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Chester and Ro thanks for your help. I scanned this picture about 3 years ago, and I am not sure exactly what I did. Ro, this is a really dumb question, but how do I do this?
Quote:
So you could take your uncompressed 2,400 file, which has dimensions 6,000 x 10,200 and scale it down to quarter size (1,500 x 2,550).
I am not sure how to do this without losing any information. The picture need LOTS of work and I need as much of the information it holds, as possible.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Karyn,

I'm not Ro, but I think I can walk you through this one. Attached is a screenshot for resizing your image. In the example, I changed my width option to "percent" instead of "inches". By entering 50% in that box, I reduced the width in pixels, seen in the top section of the screenshot, to one half what they were originally. If you want the absolute best you can get, I think you should reduce the file by 50%, then reduce it by 50% again. That will give you the pixel size Ro advised. Also, make sure to use "bicubic", as this is the best resampling you can get. Study the screenshot, and follow it. But of course, your pixel count and size will be different from my image.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-size.jpg (83.2 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 04:07 AM

Only one thing to add to Ed and Ro's excellent descriptions.

Make a copy of your file, and resize the copy. That way if anything goes wrong, you've still got the original.

Never, never, never work on your original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 AM

Excellent advice by Gary. I'd like to go one step further. When you scan an image, I think it's a good idea to make it a read-only file before you do anything else. That way, you can't possibly make a mistake and save it after it has been changed without putting a new filename on it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I am going to work on the picture right now. Great advice Gary - I always duplicate and when saving, I save it as a different name. Ed thanks for walking me through the steps I would never have used the percent option (I didn't know what it did exactly ) Thanks for the scanning advice, it is a great policy to follow.

Sorry it took awhile to respond - my 7 year old daughter was hit by a snowboard on the ski hill yesterday and now has to live with a broken leg - full leg cast and her ski season is finished . We are thankful she didn't get injuried any worse - She was hit from behind, and the kid, who hit her, was going really fast. She is a real tough kid.

Thanks for the help
Karyn
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 04:11 PM

You're very welcome, Karyn. I haven't been helping much lately, and I'm glad I could give you a hand.

Tell your daughter we all wish her a speedy recovery. It has to be rough for a 7 year old to be out of commission for a while. But I'm sure she'll bounce back quickly.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 03:57 AM

Karyn,

Hope your little girl gets well soon.

For the first time in 16 years I'm not able to go skiing this year, so I know how tiresome it must be for her to have to sit the season out.

Of course I also hate you for living somewhere where you have a "season" , I usually have to make do with just a couple of weeks each year .

Good luck with your photo.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow