RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Color Managment in 1909!

Old 01-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Color Managment in 1909!

Thought this link might be interesting for those interested in channels. The images are realy quite fantastic as is the process.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 PM

This is amazing stuff. I'm ashamed I've never heard of this guy.
dc
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 PM

It's incredible to get a full color view of a world that existed in only black and white photos. If you look at the process for creating the prints you see what a visionary the photographer was.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I saw that a few months ago. That was definitely a man ahead of his time. I think he was playing his iPod when he figured out how to do that.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 01:20 PM

There's also a great section where they go over the process he used to create his images. I've been meaning to give it a shot. I just have to find some RGB filters... or make some crude ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM

If only there were some way to work backwards through this method We could use it to colorize black and white photos.

I’ve been trying to recreate these three plates (channels).

I tried putting three colour dots (RGB) on a B&W photo in areas I wanted red blue and green and then adjusting curves.
Eg. For the red channel use curves to make the red dot white and the green and blue dots dark.

Unfortunately on all the images I tried I could not get enough separation between my three dots to put colour in the picture.

Any ideas?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM

It's an interesting idea but I don't see how it would be possible to extract channel information from an image with no color information to begin with. If you were to shoot your BW images with color filters then the BW images are actually specific color information displayed in grayscale, much like the channel views in Photoshop. Now if you have a "Composite BW" I don't know that it would be possible to extract plate information from that. Interesting idea though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Hee Hee. Correct Goose. I was hoping someone may have a flash of genius and suggest Something.

We can never create colour which has never been there in the first place. But by using curves (or something) we could create three different ‘plates’ to use for the RGB channels. We would never get a colour picture but we could perhaps get a quick start to colorizing.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 PM

That's defintely true and really quite interesting but even with curves we would be "assigning" the color to the image based on our assumptions or preferences instead of the picture information. That said though, it is a really cool way of going about colorizing. It would require quite a bit of oblique conceptual thinking while writing the curves in order to get something usable.

What really makes me wonder though is with the three plate technique, if you shoot an entire plate for each channel you should have some really healthy looking plates with tons of information. When you convert them to channels they should yield some really amazing color photos.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow