RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

How to scan slides

Old 01-27-2006, 11:57 PM

How to scan slides

I am just starting in the photo retouching area and where I'm probably most clueless is in input and output. I've got a ton, and I mean a ton, of old family slides of which some I'd like to get on to my computer to retouch, fix, etc. Can someone be kind enough to lead me in the right direction? Oh, did I say I was clueless about this stuff? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imann08
I am just starting in the photo retouching area and where I'm probably most clueless is in input and output. I've got a ton, and I mean a ton, of old family slides of which some I'd like to get on to my computer to retouch, fix, etc. Can someone be kind enough to lead me in the right direction? Oh, did I say I was clueless about this stuff? lol
If you want to scan slides, your scanner should have this function otherwise you won't be able to scan them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Patron

Slide Scanning

Imann, you are lucky to have all of those family photos on slides. Slide film emulsions from years ago if stored properly should be in much better shape than negatives. Images will likely be much easier to retouch because there will be less color degradation and fewer pinholes in the emulsion.
If you are looking for the best results, I would highly recommend you purchase or borrow a true slide / negative scanner. Flat bed scanners which have special adapters to handle slides and negs do not do anywhere near as good a job. They do not have the optical resolution or the dynamic range of dedicated slide/neg scanners. If you are interested in a "previously enjoyed" scanner, there are tons of deals on Ebay. If you are looking at investing in a new one, there are many brand name excellent scanner. I would highly recommend looking at Nikon Coolscan. There are of course commercial services which will scan your slides for you. However, they auto level, auto color, auto sharpen, your output and your stuck with what you get. Often it is difficult or time consuming to undo machine generated corrections. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 AM

i agree with mistermonday. here's the dedicated slide/negative scanner i use at home. i got it through Staples office supply for $129. this model is now discontinued, but here's the web site for it and for their line of scanners: http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php . do bear in mind that this ONLY does 35mm slides and negatives, so if you have other types you might want to look around more. the software is also a bit fussy at times. and, if you have another scanner on the same machine, there is a bug in Windows that may make one or the other not work right. so, those are the caveats on this particular model.

all in all, it does a very good job, despite the somewhat buggy nature of the beast and i've been quite pleased with it.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Let me be the first to suggest using a digital camera with good macro capabilities and a light table This one was done with a small P&S (as in cheap) sony dsc-p10 but had to be downsized from it's original resolution to upload. It all depends on what your output needs are. For image acquisition speed you simply can't beat a good digital camera vs. a scanner and I'd love to see what can be done with an SLR with decent glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07864w.jpg (81.6 KB, 90 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videosean
Let me be the first to suggest using a digital camera with good macro capabilities and a light table This one was done with a small P&S (as in cheap) sony dsc-p10 but had to be downsized from it's original resolution to upload. It all depends on what your output needs are. For image acquisition speed you simply can't beat a good digital camera vs. a scanner and I'd love to see what can be done with an SLR with decent glass.
I have a Canon Digital Rebel 6.3mp. Awesome camera and I can't wait to see how it works when I learn how to take good photographs. I just don't have a light table and wouldn't know the first thing about doing it. It seems as though the scanners that are made for it are much easier to deal with that sitting there and taking a picture of each slide. I'd love to take a picture of one for you to show you what it was like but, like I said, I'd be entering this area blind at this point and don't know if my results would do it justice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 07:14 PM

To everyone else, I intend to buy what's necessary eventually I was just holding off until I got some practice/experience under my belt before I went and did any purchasing. Right now I am just dealing with an all-in-one HP OfficeJet G55. It's no longer made but I love it for what it does. It's just probably not good enough to scan or reprint photos for future customers if I get to that point. In order to do the slides, it sounds like I may have to do this sooner rather than later and make some decisions. I have a bunch of questions when it comes to both scanners and printers. For instance, while the scanners that handle slides sound great they may not be able to handle over sized photos that people want fixed up.

Right now I am knee deep in Dan Margulis' LAB book. I'm sure most of you know of it and understand when I say I am going at a snails pace just to understand the stuff. LAB isn't RGB or CMYK by any stretch but, after getting through as much of the book as I have, it seems like a must. Anyways, the bottom line is it's taking a while for me to get a grip on things because, while I know photoshop fairly well, this area is taking me into areas that I had never dealt with before. For instance, I didn't even know Apply Image or Calculation Commands existed until getting into this.

You guys seem very nice. Much nicer than other boards I've been on for PS graphics stuff. Usually if you are still wet behind the ears and ask a "stupid" question you will get abused and told that, basically, that question was too easy, go figure it out yourself. I'm sure you've seen that response. I never really ran into it cause I got on those boards after I had some experience but I see others who did and it stinks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imann08
...You guys seem very nice. Much nicer than other boards I've been on for PS graphics stuff. Usually if you are still wet behind the ears and ask a "stupid" question you will get abused and told that, basically, that question was too easy, go figure it out yourself. I'm sure you've seen that response. I never really ran into it cause I got on those boards after I had some experience but I see others who did and it stinks.
imann -- you're right, most of us here HAVE seen that type of response elsewhere, and most of us agreed years ago NOT to let that attitude take root here. No one is born knowing any of this, and no one knows it all -- the nicer we are to the "new guy/new lady", the better the chance is that they will share what they know with us also -- plus it's just a lot more fun to be nice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 PM

I have a good flatbed scanner with a slides adapter, good scanning software. and the result are rubbish. I have a good dedicated film/slide scanner and the results are excellent, but at a hefty price, including learning the scanner software.

A 35mm slide copier attachment for you Rebel is a resonable and inexpensive approach. Google "35mm slide copier" for lots of hits on sources and instruction. There are all kinds of outfits that scan slides cheaply like 33¢ each, and burn them as .jpg to CD...skip

http://www.superiorslides.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipc
A 35mm slide copier attachment for you Rebel is a resonable and inexpensive approach. Google "35mm slide copier" for lots of hits on sources and instruction. There are all kinds of outfits that scan slides cheaply like 33¢ each, and burn them as .jpg to CD...skip
This looks like it could be a good and inexpensive idea to accomplish what I want. At least for the time being. Do you have any recommedations to make for my Canon Rebel?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow