RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

5 questions concerning resolution

Old 12-19-2001, 06:52 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
5 questions concerning resolution

Please answer all five questions if you can. Here's the deal: Your final image will be printed on an inkjet printer. You somehow magically know that the image will never be printed larger than the initial printing. The file will never be used for anything but an inkjet printer.

1. What resolution would you scan a print the same size as the output print?

2. What resolution would you use on your Photoshop (or other) file?

3. What printing resolution would you use?

4. Now the big question -- *why* would you choose these resolutions?

5. Have you made comparisons using different resolution files?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2001, 08:38 PM

I use an Epson 1270 and my answers are based on that printer.

1. If I was scanning a print at the same size as the I was going to print I would scan at 360. I scan a lot of negatives and usually scan at 2400 and increase the output size to twice that of the negative, so I have enough details to work with when I resize the image later

2. I would keep the image at 360 in Photoshop.

3 I use 1440 on the Epson 1270 high speed unchecked

4. Experience along with trial and error has proven to me that I get the best printed photographs, when my images are 360 resolution and I use 1440 as my printing resolution, with the high speed unchecked. I also use Epson's printer profile for the Epson paper I am printing on, usually heavyweight matte.

5. I have made a lot of comparisions using the following resolutiions for the images ( 240, 360, 720) and using either 720 or 1440 as the printer resolution. I found that the images with 720 as the resolution created to large of a file and I could not see any improvement in the details, when printed at 1440.

I found that while 240 gave me some great prints, I could get more detail using 360 for the image and 1440 for the printer, while the file was larger than an image using 240, I think the improvements are worth the extra file size. I burn the masters to CD's after printing so it does not take up hard disk space.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2001, 11:13 PM

I agree somewhat with George, but it's simpler for me. Your constraints made it easy---scan the print at 360, work at 360, and print at 360. (I also have an Epson, the shorter 870 variety)

To answer questions specifically:

1. What resolution would you scan a print the same size as the output print?

expected print resolution, 360dpi in case of an Epson n70/n90

2. What resolution would you use on your Photoshop (or other) file?

scan resolution, see above

3. What printing resolution would you use?

appropriate for the printer, 360dpi in case of an Epson---what I scanned at as well

4. Now the big question -- *why* would you choose these resolutions?

Epsons maneuver best at resolutions that divide evenly into their max resolution. The 870/1270 are 1440dpi max resolution printers, so 360 and 240 work best. I prefer the extra info 360 gives.

5. Have you made comparisons using different resolution files?

I have printed 360dpi, 720dpi, and 1200dpi on the Epson, but only at 4x6---I just got the printer four days ago, and bought larger paper yesterday. The biggest change in quality has been paper type (AVOID Mead paper at all costs, it doesn't absorb Epson's black ink at all). I could not discern a difference in print quality among those listed above. Haven't tried at 240, but I'll burn some paper later and see how it looks.

(I should note that in reality I would scan an archival print at or near maximum scanner resolution, retouch it, archive it, and then scale down for the print, but you knew that already)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow