RetouchPRO (
-   Input/Output/Workflow (
-   -   How are you doing your backups? Online (

DannyRaphael 03-09-2006 09:50 AM

How are you doing your backups? Online
OK... I admit it. I KNOW I should be backing up my hard drives. I started by getting additional drives installed, but now they are full to.

I'm thinking of doing backups over the internet. Off site = survival in case of fire. Unlikely, but you never know.

- - - - - - -

I found this site today:

Looks real promising...but no support for .psd format at the moment. :(

- - - - - - -

It would be interesting to know what programs or services or methods other RP members are using for backup/recovery.
Please VOTE in the poll and jump in with your thoughts, comments, experiences and advice.

DannyRaphael 03-09-2006 10:09 AM

When I'm on top of my game I use a program called

Backup Magic,

* Easy setup; flexible in specifying what to copy
* No file format changes; it just does a straight file copy (no compression)
* Incremental backups (detects files that have changed).
* Can be setup to run automatically, but I haven't figured that out yet. :(

Doug Nelson 03-09-2006 10:47 AM

I use Retrospect, from Dantz. I do an automatic nightly backup of all my Documents and Settings folders to an external USB drive. I chose Retrospect because it automatically closes Outlook to get the safest possible backup of its PST file (and I live in Outlook, it has all my information).

But there are lots of good backup programs out there. And you can pickup an external housing for any old internal hard drive from for $30 (that's not what I use, but I'm considering it for another drive).

philbach 03-09-2006 11:07 AM

I use Carbon Copy Cloner
A Mac Program.

RL Design 03-09-2006 09:43 PM

I am manually backing up my Mac files to Iomega REV Drive disks and I love it! The nice thing is that they are removable hard drives, so I can store them in my fire safe and because they are hard drives I can reuse them as needed. Best computer investment I have made in a long time.

mashny 03-20-2006 11:21 PM

CD and Flash Drive
I burn to CD as well as copy to a 2GB flash drive. The Photoshop files are huge, so I only backup the final jpgs. Since I use for many of my prints, they also have a copy of most of my files (several hundred at present).