RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Printing Query

Old 03-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Printing Query

I rarely print images just pass files onto other parties or upload to the web. However I was asked to print off some group shots from digital .nef (Nikon) files I'd taken. I use an old HP 990cxi printer and on printing the files out via a mild tweak in PS I find the output has a delightful purple cast! Tried printing out in other applications with the same results althought text prints perfectly out of MS Office etc. Ink tanks on printer are full.

Any clues please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Janitor

Is there an ICC profile? If not you might want to use Let Photoshop Determine Colors in the print preview dialog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Patron

Your problem usually occurs when Color Management is not used or not properly used between Photoshop and your printer. If you would like a very good primer on Color Management, check out this link.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 10:08 AM

Doug I have the 'Let Photoshop decide' panel ticked. But as the printer is turning out prints with a purple cast from Irfanview and other image software I'm wondering if the problem lies in the OS (W2K)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Janitor

If it's printing badly from all apps, it sounds like the printer is miscalibrated. And if there's no difference in printing from PS than non-color managed apps, it sounds like CM has been disabled in PS. Or the printer could be printing perfectly and your monitor is miscalibrated.

You'd expect there to be a difference when printing from within PS, not necessarily better, but different. The fact that it's the same leads me to believe either CM is turned off in PS, or your working space has been set to your monitor space (same as turning CM off). Working space should usually be AdobeRGB or sRGB in PS.

You might want to check your printer's advanced settings to see how it's handling color management, if at all. You normally want either the printer to handle it or PS to handle it, but not both. If you need to print from other apps, tweak the advanced print settings until it works.

Do you have an ICC profile for that printer? The fact that you're in W2K complicates things a bit, as I've forgotten what CM controls it has (if any). But printer CM is very rarely handled by the OS anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Chris,

Are you using "Print with Preview"? That could make a difference.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 PM

Had a session with the HP help desk (must work on Sundays!!) I think its a hardware problem with the printer as after running various dignostics for them it seems the yellow gun isnt firing and that on two seperate cartridges. The printer is only 6 years old I demand a refund!!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Janitor

As much as it impresses me that they were there on a Sunday, I'd suggest you get an Epson
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow