RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Printing black & white photos

Old 03-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Angry Printing black & white photos

Hi

I work in photoshop cs2 and print to a epson 310 printer. I can print my colour photos out exactly as I want them but no matter what I try my black & white photos always print with a pink tinge to them. I have contacted epson about this and have tried everything they say to do but still my B & W photos have pink tinges to them. Can anyone help me
Cheers
Pam
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2006, 05:19 PM

set it to use black ink only, that works on my Epson D88 (same inks as R310)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2006, 05:32 PM

How do I do that I can find nothing in my book to tell me how. I have clicked the grayscale setting in the print screen but that prints with a pink tinge as well - so if there is another way it would be nice to know

Last edited by PJM; 03-21-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Patron

Check Photoshops File>Print With Preview window and make sure that the Output box is set to "Printer Color Management". Then be sure in your Printer Options dialog box that you have selected Black instead of Color. I do not have your particular driver, however if there are any overide or color bias options in the Advanced Options, make sure they are all turned off or set to the 0 point.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 AM

Sorry for delay in reply.
When you go to print the image, the print options window pops up. In there is a Printing Preferences button. Click on that and your Epson printer settings come up. Click on Advanced at the bottom and you will see all the options available. Tick the box for "Black ink only" and click OK.
Your printer will now only use the black ink, rather than a mix of the colours to make black. This will then give you a perfect black and white print . Printing in mix colours seems always give a cast of one of the main colours. I usually get a blue cast
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks for all that - I seem to have solved the problem with your help and can now get my black & white photos printed the way I want them.

Cheers
Pam
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 AM

Hi,
I am also having trouble printing black and white with the Epson R310. I cannot find a "use black ink" box in any of the dialogue boxes. printing "greyscale' still produces a photo with a slight purple tinge.
How did you solve the problem please?
Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Patron

Make sure in the PS Print with Preview dialog that you select Printer Color Management in the output space. This gives the printer control over how it interprets and converts colors. Then make sure that the check box in the prinnter options dialogs have checked the box that controls color versus black & white ink. I do not have a 310 but on all of my other Epson models, there are two check boxes, one says Color, the other says Black only. It varies model to model but somewhere there needs to be an option to supress the printing with color UNLESS you have a 3 color ink system which does not use a black ink cartridge.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2006, 01:00 AM

Hi Murray,
I appreciate the reply, but there is no check box for black..only greyscale.
Cheers,
Paul
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow