RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning question

Old 01-01-2002, 08:50 PM

Glad I could help Ed.

I would love to see the scan now, Tahoe is one of my favorite places!

Paul Rupp
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 09:25 PM

Already bought one Ed. Got the Epson Perfection 1650 photo.

Alan
I guess that's why I never found it listed. I can't afford the ones that are $500 plus.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 11:10 PM

Dont put too much reliance on all the talk about dynamic range. Most of the time what is claimed and what is actually delivered are relatively far apart. I use a Minolta scan multi 2 neg scanner and have done quite a few slides with it, which turn out very well when scanned at around 700-1000lpi....the dynamic range is listed well below 4, around 3.5 I believe. More importiant is the ability to get uninterpolated scans in the above lpi range or higher and 12 or 16 bit capture. Having a flatbed with trans. adapter which has capacity enough to scan several slides at once is a plus...the dedicated slide/neg. scanning units are slow. If just planning on doing slides or 35mm strips and time isnt a serious consideration, one of the dedicated units in the $250.00 to $ 600.00 range might be worth looking at. I have seen the results from one of the HP slide/neg scanners with a D range of around 3.2 or so and they look good both on screen and printed. Getting something with noise/grain supression software included is to be strongly considered also as without it you will spend some time cleaning the scans up. Just some thoughts... Good luck Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 12:23 AM

Scanners for slides

Alan,

Your exact goals will make some difference in what will work for you. The main considerations are how many slides are you going to try and scan, and what is their ultimate display media?

If you have a lot of slides to scan, a film scanner is slow. Some units have stack feeders for 50 slides (Minolta and Nikon). These can save significant hands on time, but not time overall. Also, these are $400.00 additions to already high priced scanners.

Flatbed scanners are a lot faster, since they often can scan a large number of slides at a time. The major problems are limited Dmax and dpi resolution. In other words, a flat bed scanner won't be able to give you the shadow details you'd get from a scan on a film scanner, and the maximum dpi won't be as high from the flat bed either.

Another limitation of flatbed scanners is working with color negatives. Few have software for reversing the amber mask. You can do it by hand, but it if painfully tedious. I've tried it, it and it is not fun (some film is much easier than others...).

Still, the fundamental questions are the two I mentioned in the first paragraph. If you need to scan thousands of slides a film scanner will probably take unbearably long. On the other hand if your final output is intended to be a monitor (or lcd projector) you don't need the 2700 to 4800 dpi resolution of a film scanner for 35mm film. A 1000dpi flatbed would give good enough results, as long as you don't have a lot of shadow details to include.

For my photos I do a "catalog" scan on an Microtek Artixscan 1100 at 1000 dpi where I can scan 12 slides at a time in the special tray. That gives me screen filling pictures, that are good enough for monitor viewing. When I pick one to print I re-scan the original on a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro at a dpi appropriate to the output size. That is more involved that just scanning once at high resolution but it saves a lot of time, since I only print a few.

I hope this helps.

This is my first post ever to RetouchPro, and I seem to have rambled on for quite some length... Hi everyone.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 07:45 AM

Hi Tim,

There is not any time limit to the posts, so just ramble on.

This is a quick reply and I just started work. I'll get back to later with some questions.

I intend to screen all my slides and only scan the ones that I want to save. I don't need 100 picdtures of my kids when a few good ones will do. The same will apply to my vacation and other pictures.

It will be a time consuming job, but part of the fun will be looking through all the old slices. I doubt if I will scan more than 10% of them, but you never know until you get started.

Talk to yuou later,

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2002, 08:25 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site. It seems as though you have a good handle on scanners, and you have a lot to share. One thing I would like to mention concerns the scanning software. As you probably know, many flatbed scanners (and film scanners) are supported by the software Vuescan, and possibly others. I opted for Vuescan, and I'm a happy camper with it. A trial version is available which is fully functional except for saving the files. You have the opportunity to see what the program will do with your scanner, and if you like it you pay for it. This will get you a code number to enter which makes saving files available.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 02:13 AM

Alan,

I'll happily answer any questions I can.

Ed,
Thank you. I've never tried Vuescan. I have tried SilverFast on a previous flatbed scanner. I thought SilverFast was a tremendous improvement over the Umax consumer software I had been using. Now I have ScanWizard Pro to go with my Microtek scanner. The software is good and allows for rapid batch scanning and extensive photo correction options. I can do about 90% of the exposure and color correction in the prescan, rather than waiting to open the picture in Photoshop.

The inversion of color negatives works reasonably well too, since they allow a calibration to be made for each roll of film.

Tom mentioned grain reduction software. I would just like to mention that using GEM (Applied Science Fiction's grain reduction) on my Minolta Dimage Multi makes scan times much longer. Worse, before you can set the slider for how strong the effect is you have to do the full scan (it just does it when you do the GEM preview). And it WILL soften photographic details if used too strongly. Don't get me wrong. I use it when I need to, but not always.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 08:02 AM

Good point about the GEM/ROC software modules, Tim. They do slow the process considerably even with fast computers and unless the negative or slide is in bad shape, I dont use them as many times it will actually degrade the image. But, as you pointed out, on very faded or grain "clumped" items, they can do wonders...at the price of slowing things down though. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow