RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning question

Old 12-30-2001, 09:34 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Scanning question

I have an Acer 1240UT scanner which is capable of scanning negs and transparencies. Optical resolution is only 1200 spi, but that's good enough for small prints or for viewing on a monitor. Until today I have only scanned prints, and some B&W negs. Today I scanned a slide I took some time ago, and wound up with a lot of noise in the shadows, which doesn't surprise me. But there is also a spot which looks like a light leak or something. I scanned the slide three times, in different areas on the bed. The spot shows up in the same location on the scan. Does anyone have any ideas about why this happens? Looking at the slide through an 8 X loupe shows no signs of anything like that. Here is a sample straight out of the scanner.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake tahoe_web.jpg (80.3 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2001, 10:59 PM

Ed,
Just a thought, there might be a slight imperfection in the smoothness of the slide at that point, try turning it over and trying it again. Thay should help.

Hope it does!

Paul Rupp
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2001, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the reply Paul. It sounds reasonable that could be what you suggest. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2001, 02:34 PM

I aggree with Paul. Being that your slide or negative is so small you won't be able to see such an imperfection with the naked eye. If you have a lupe, you might use it to see the condition of the slide.
Let us know what you find by flipping it. It's a beautiful scene.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 06:56 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that Paul was right! Thanks for the help. I don't know if I would have ever thought about that possibility.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 05:22 PM

Ed,

What is the dynamic range of your scanner? It is recommended that it be close to 4.0 or better for scanning slides.

I'm looking into the Nikon coolscan IV, but I am stlll doing some research on slide scanners.

Any comments?

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 06:26 PM

Hi Alan. Where ya been? We've missed you around here. The dynamic range of my scanner isn't listed, but I know it's not as much as I need. The scanner is a flatbed with a transparency lid. The price is around $150.00, and I think it's a steal for that kind of money (got mine on e-bay for $103.00). I have quite a few medium to large format B&W negs (some quite old), and it comes in handy for that. I'd like to have a better film scanner, but I need to make do with what I have. Good luck on finding something.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 07:04 PM

Alan
Nice to see you back. You know they always tell you to look for the best dynamic range on your scanner but I have yet to see it listed when buying one. Any ideas where you find that info? I'm confused. None of the scanners I looked at had that listed.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 08:10 PM

Debbie,

Are you looking at flatbeds or film scanners? I think you will be much more likely to find that information on film scanners (although not all of them).

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 08:16 PM

Ed and DJ,

I've been too tied up with business problems for the past several months. A new partner will be coming in within 2-3 weeks. Briefly, this has started a considerable amount of positive actions. My partner and I will turn the business over to him in two years.

We will have it tough for the next several months, but we are very positive about the changes that will be made. Right now, for example, I am redesigning our store's web site for online selling.

I'll fill you all in later when the site is up and running. Our target is to be ready in 4-6t weeks.

I've missed not having the time to spend in the forum, but I should be able to spend more time very soon.

Now for scanners--

The lower priced scanners usually do not list the dynamic range. The slide scanner, which are usually more expensive, do list it, especially if you are above the $500 level. I have not checked the higher priced flatbed scanners as I will go to a slide scanner.

I am interested in scanner the best of my slides from the past forty years. My goal is to consolidate them onto CD's until a better option comes along. Then I will not have to keep the many, many boxes that I have.

My wife is always reminding me that no one looks at the slides and they will not be saved by our kids in the future.

I spent three Sundays going through my father's slides when we sold our house. I had saved all his slides after he did, but they were condensed into one box.

It will be easier for me to file them on the CD's and the space requirements are substantially less.

Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow