RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

lyson inks for epson 1270

Old 01-30-2002, 05:48 PM

Epson products

No simpathy here for Epson if another ink can replace their cartridges. I love their printers and scanners but they have done a real disservice to their customers, I am including myself, by changing suppliers of their ink. The new stuff from China is clearly inferior. When I talked to an Epson rep he said there is no difference. Wrong. My setup hasn't change but I was getting a clear difference in color and saturation.

The problem is solved for a while because I bought 10 of each black and color cartridges from Sam's, the last they had. By the time these are gone maybe I can afford a 2000.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 10:16 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Debbie,

One of the few times I knew what I was talking about, and you already knew the answer!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 12:20 PM

Reset Epson

I have not refilled my epson stylus 2000p yet but I have considered it for the black using lyson. The easiest and cheapest way to reset the chip is to put a new cartridge in the printer to allow it to register full, and then replace it with a filled cartridge. I tried it just to see if if works and it does perfectly. If anyone is intereste, more information can be found at http://medlem.tripod.net.nu/chipreset/how.htm. This same technique seems to work on all the new epson chips. WC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 12:35 PM

A question-what is the chip your talking about? I first wrote"can I ask a dumb question" but since I have been around here long enough I know you all would say no question is dumb~
Thanks!
p.s. I did try the link above and I got a "this page not available" I will try again later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 01:40 PM

Hello Jill,

Sorry about the problem. Let me try again and I will check to make sure it is OK. About chipped epsons sets -- Epson has put little chips in its newer printers that seem to be designed to keep people from refilling them. This is probably because Epson makes more money on cartridges than on the printers. Older models like the 700 and 1200 did not present this problem. I order to refill newer printers the chip needs to be reset so that it thinks the cartridge is full. The link http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/chipreset/how.htm tells how to do this. I just visited the site so I know it is still operable. WC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 02:09 PM
Janitor

I feel obligated to chime in here to say that, while I respect opinions to the contrary, I love the Epson chipped cartridges. They were one of the reasons I chose the 1270. They provide a valuable two-way communications link between the printer and computer that goes way beyond anything offered by any other system.

As for refilling and alternate vendors, there are lots of good reasons to use both, but saving money isn't one of them. If you're looking to shave a dime (or even a dollar) off your per-print cost you have something in mind other than providing the highest-quality work for your client.

Lyson has an excellent reputation, and offer some inks that have attributes unavailable from the original manufacturers. But the Epson 1270 system is just that...a system...and for straight-ahead printing it can't be beat (imho). There are other types of printing where other systems are more appropriate, but things like that should be taken into consideration before purchase, not shoehorned in afterwards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2002, 09:53 PM

Thank you so much for the explaination and the link worked great. Very interesting!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow