RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

lyson inks for epson 1270

Old 01-04-2002, 02:14 PM

lyson inks for epson 1270

has anyone ever used the lyson or fotonic ink for the epson 1270.
looked at them at www.photofile-ink.com and say they are good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:22 PM

Cippres
First I've ever heard of them. Where did you run accross these? If you use inks not recommended by Epson in your machine that could void any warranties you have on the machine so be careful. I would like to see an independent review site that gives a test rating on these inks. I'm curious but cautious at this point. Could be a good thing so I will keep up with this thread to see if others might have some experience with it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:27 PM

I ran acroos an ad in the digtal capture magizine, two diffenent companies were offering the same products stating the same "good"thing about the inks. Can't remeber the other site, photofile-ink.com was the one giving the details on it though. I had never herad of these before either, They are saying they are permant, non fade inks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:30 PM

I got to admit they look legit. Unfortunately they don't sell inks for my model Epson. I do notice they deal with the professional models though. I will have to read more on this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 02:33 PM

Found this link from inkjetart.com http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/archiv...s/fotonic.html

that talks about the testing of the two inks.

I did notice that for the 1270 it requires a reset chip which is $25.00 and the ink is $20 per cart. I get the real thing now for $22 to $24, so it might not be a money saving effort after all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 04:23 PM

Yeah, I did notice the prices of them as being about the same as what I can get my inks for too. But it's still interesting and maybe they have something better. Didn't know about the special chip though.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2002, 09:21 PM

Lyson Ink

I have never used lyson ink, but I have used cartridges from mis and others. I used to have the epson 1200. The color compatibles were too variable but the blacks worked as well regardless of who made them. I still buy the blacks for about $3.00 each for the epson 480 (same cartridge). I use the 2000P now. The epson chips are easy to reset, but the ink is not supposed to fade for 200 years so I use only the epson for now. I wonder if anyone with a 2000P has used an archival ink other than epson. WC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2002, 09:26 PM

I have the 2000P but it's still on warranty so I won't even consider using another kind of ink. I used compatibles on my Cannons and we kept having trouble with them. Don't know if it was the inks or not but I'm leary of trying anything other than Epson approved materials especially after paying so much for this machine.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 02:52 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I remember reading something (but where?) about the chips on the ink cartridges. I think there's a way to work around the chip, but I'm not sure how to do it. The 870 also has the chip on it. It's true about Epson's reluctance to provide the warranty services if a third party ink is used. But I wonder if they could really get away with that if they couldn't provide proof that a third party ink caused the printer to malfunction. There's no doubt that they want to sell their own ink, and putting a statement like that in their warranty could help assure them of ink sales. But would it stand up in a court of law?

Debbie,
You are not supposed to touch the chip when changing ink cartridges. It's located on the back side of the cartridge.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2002, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info Ed but being an electronic tech for 20 years I already knew that.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow