RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Black/White points of fuji frontier?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Black/White points of fuji frontier?

Hi, friends

I want to test the black and white points of my mini-lab/fuji frontier, but i don't know how can i do this correct. I made a document in photoshop with black and white squares on differents tons of RGB (0 to 30 and 255 to 230), than I converted to profile of my lab and save as jpeg, without embedded the profile. I wondering if i can ask to my lab print this document and copy to cd/dvd, or maybe scan it and than copy to cd, so i can open in photoshop on my computer and measure the numbers. I don't want to only see the photo printed, i would like to have the same photo printed inside my computer in photoshop. This is my doubt, how can i get it?

Thanks

I'm confused about it, can you help me, please?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2006, 11:22 AM

To test the B/W points you need only to submit unconverted RGB data like say from a 21 step grayramp created in your monitor space or AdobeRGB but not sRGB-it doesn't have a standard gamma curve. sRGB lightens by as much as 10 RGB levels the 3/4 tone region in images so your previews will be slightly off from your prints.

Remember, you will never match the dynamic range or the deep blacks of 000RGB on your screen to the blacks on a print. When you get the print of your unconverted B/W test image with no color/density corrections from your lab, assign the supplied profile to see if their printer has drifted from the supplied profile. Usually these minilabs drift in color cast and tone distribution progression between B/W and rarely change density levels in B/W levels unless they change paper brand/type.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM

target

Hi, thank you for your answer, but I don't want to only see the photo/target printed, i would like to have the same photo printed inside my computer in photoshop. Is it possible?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 04:36 AM

Are you talking about Soft Proofing in Photoshop or actually printing to your printer like say an inkjet connected to your computer? If so, what brand?

If inkjet you'll need to use the internal color management interface between Photoshop and your printer driver to get the same B/W points that you'ld get from minilabs but don't expect them to exactly match. Injets and minilabs are completely different animals due to their printing mechanics and paper types.

I may not be understanding what you are saying by-"...print inside my computer in Photoshop". What you seem to be asking isn't a difficult task to pull off but I don't have enough info from you to give you a more concise answer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2006, 04:28 PM

HI... As I understand from your request... you want the printed file from the minilab to be inserted as a photo in photoshop...
In that case you should just scan the result, and the do the measuring ... but you must use the minilab scanner... In matter of fact use channel calibration software, which by it self create a temp file, and the just copy and rename that temp file to bmp or tif and open it in photoshop...

the catch is to find where is this file created.. on konica QD21 was in temp folder in C:\... R1 & R2 konica was in program files/r1/apldata/temp... Not sure for frontier... but there must be some temp folder or something similar.. the best way is to search all file that were created when you make the scan (use the search toolbar in explorer)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Re: Black/White points of fuji frontier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rari
Hi, friends

I want to test the black and white points of my mini-lab/fuji frontier, but i don't know how can i do this correct. I made a document in photoshop with black and white squares on differents tons of RGB (0 to 30 and 255 to 230), than I converted to profile of my lab and save as jpeg, without embedded the profile.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2728/hilobj3.jpg
I made that image for the same reason you outline here I think. Have it printed on a frontier, then I can see where I start to lose detail at either end of the scale. For me it turned out to be around 25 for the blacks. At the light end of the scale detail was good all the way through my top end numbers using my image.

Quote:
I wondering if i can ask to my lab print this document and copy to cd/dvd, or maybe scan it and than copy to cd, so i can open in photoshop on my computer and measure the numbers.
You could do that - ask then to burn the file you gave them to a CD. It should not be any different than the file you gave them though.

As i.ilievski said, scanning the print may get you the results you want... if I understand you correctly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow