RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

huge project in progress, Epson endorsement

Old 02-14-2002, 06:26 AM

I'm interested to know why you scanned at 800dpi? Are you going to do enlargements? For printing at the original size, the most that you should need is about 300dpi (I normally use 220dpi). The printer can't resolve much more than that anyway.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints.html

The size of the files is going to make them painfully slow to work with, especially once you start making them even bigger by adding layers for your adjustments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the link, Al. I'll have to study that.

I have heard so many theories on resolution. From very low to very high. Now I print at 360 to a printer resolution of 1440. Maybe wasted, but 360 is one of the resolutions I've heard advocated and it works allright for me. But there is a lot of room for argument.

I think different pictures require scanning at different resolutions and sometimes you just have to go with trial and error.

Again, thanks for the link. I'll probably be changing my workflow again.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 11:16 AM

Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanner

I’ll give another thumbs up for the Epson 2450 Photo Scanner. I just got mine and I love it and it seems to be compatible with XP as well! I plan on scanning some old family photos to one, bring a little life back into them as they are faded and two, make copies for other family members.

-T

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 01:44 PM

I just realized I forgot to answer the question above.

I scanned at 800dpi because that is an even divisor of the scanner's maximum optical resolution of 2400dpi, and it gave me very close to 8x10 at 360dpi for the prints I was scanning.

I also print at 360dpi image resolution, as that is an even divisor of the printer's max resolution, though I rarely print at 1440dpi printer res---I simply can't tell the difference between 1440 and 720, and 1440 uses more ink. (This is on an Epson Stylus Photo 870.)

I try to scan and print at these ordinal numbers in order to prevent either device from interpolating anything. It's probably a non-issue, particularly with the printer since it has to convert RGB to CMYK anyway, but it gives me a warm fuzzy. I am so impressed with both scanner and printer that I could just split my face smiling.

On the 2450, I did some test scans of transparencies at ultra-high resolution---greater than 2400---to see whether the scanner did a better job of resampling than Photoshop/PaintShopPro/etc. It was remarkable! I got useful, smooth images up to 12800dpi, scanning about 1/10 of a 35mm slide. Not really photographic quality, but it gives me hope for making stills from old 110 negatives and super-8mm movie film. It really is one heck of a scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 01:49 PM

On a similar subject, how do folks store and present large albums full of photos? I created a simple HTML page showing thumbnails of all of the album's photos in a table, one row per album page. Clicking on the photo led to a screen-size version, while clicking on a "print" button at the bottom yielded a 5x7-ish printable version at about 300dpi. In other words, there were 3 versions of each pic on the CD.

All of these were JPG, obviously--the PNG masters filled 8 CDs, while the CD fit easily onto one CD, in fact it's only about 90mb.

I was just wondering how others did it. I like the flexibility of making my own HTML page, and everyone has a web browser they can use to just double-click the file on the CD to get started. I thought about using one of the free or shareware slide show routines but was worried about it becoming obsolete and unusable in a few years, and also not usable on other types of hardware (Macs, Linux, etc).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 07:06 PM

I just put all the files on one disk at the printable size. Your way seems more proffesional! Does it take a long time for you to make 3 seperate files? Any tips? I am working on 4 photo albums right now.....very time consuming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2002, 12:28 AM

Does the 2450 have a transparency/film adaptor? My "old" Epson 200 film scanner is now a bottom end scanner (1200dpi), and I'll probably be in the market for a new scanner quite soon.

About the album, like you, I think the best way to go about it is to have two separate sets of images: one set of "low" res jpegs scaled to monitor size which can be viewed with ACDSee or something like that, the other the images that are print quality tiffs. Your idea of using the browser as a viewer for cross-platform portability is a good one, but Macs sometimes can't read CDs written on a PC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2002, 01:19 AM

BigAl, the 2450 has the transparency adaptor built into the cover. (No need to buy a sperate one). A good review can be found here

It's an excellent scanner, although if you are scanning nothing but 35mm, a dedicated film scanner is still your best bet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2002, 01:21 AM

Does it take a long time for you to make 3 seperate files?

Not really---I use Irfanview to batch-process. Once I get a high-res batch of masters, I can just tell Irfanview to crank through them and adjust size, resolution, even gamma value and rotation. The only tedious part is writing the HTML because I'm one who has to have it just right.

Does the 2450 have a transparency/film adaptor?

Does it ever! It comes with three different transparency holders, one for 126 and medium format film, one for 35mm slides, and one that holds two filmstrips of 35mm negs. You can also just plop transparencies down on the platen, of course. It works pretty darn well for a $350 scanner. I'll post a real review if I get a chance, otherwise go here for a comparison with film scanners: http://www.virtualtraveller.com

...the other the images that are print quality tiffs

I have actually found that PNGs tend to work better as masters. They are platform-independent, and with lossless compression are much smaller than TIFF. TIFF sometimes invokes problems going from Mac to PC etc. since the byte ordering is different.

Mac vs. PC is an old thread, of course, and hard to get right. It is getting to be less of an issue, however; since I only produce these for family I will probably treat problems on an individual basis. I wish there was an answer for cross-platform presentation; HTML files are pretty much the lowest common denominator as far as I can tell.

One thing I did differently from BigAl is to provide a large JPG to family rather than a real high-res PNG or TIFF master. This is because 99% of my family wouldn't know what to do with a TIFF, and the large JPG is much smaller. I have offered to provide the "real" high-res master of any photo to anyone who wants one, but have yet to be taken up on the offer!

I also like to produce two sets of masters, one for home and one for storage, in case of fire or whatnot.

Thanks for the responses! It's interesting to see how different people tackle the same problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2002, 01:54 AM

One thing I did differently from BigAl is to provide a large JPG to family rather than a real high-res PNG or TIFF master. This is because 99% of my family wouldn't know what to do with a TIFF, and the large JPG is much smaller. I have offered to provide the "real" high-res master of any photo to anyone who wants one, but have yet to be taken up on the offer!

You're in good company!!! Dan Margulis used one of my slides on a course, and he asked for a high res, high quality jpeg.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow