RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Question

Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 PM

Question

I was originally going to write Doug, but then I felt others may have the same questions....

1) If I see a photo in a magazine, book, etc. can I scan it and post it on this site for discussion? Must one get prior approval for example or could I just give reference and credit? Same goes for an ad in a magazine. If I like the effect, can I scan it and post it for discussion?

2) If I read an article that explains a technique, can I post it? I assume I should identify the source and author.

3) If I read a review that critiques a Plug-in or software, etc, can I summarize and post the finding?

Just curious what one can borrow and post on a discussion forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 PM

Re: Question

Don't take what I'm about to say as the last word on this topic, these are the standards that I would use for your examples.

If I see a photo in a magazine, book, etc. can I scan it and post it on this site for discussion? Must one get prior approval for example or could I just give reference and credit? Same goes for an ad in a magazine. If I like the effect, can I scan it and post it for discussion?

I would not scan and a post an image that came from a publication unless I had specific permission to do so. I would however not have a problem commenting on the image and if possible adding a link to it. If is online off course...

If I read an article that explains a technique, can I post it? I assume I should identify the source and author.

The same goes for an article. A link to it and commentary is perfectly appropriate, but not posting. Again, unless I had the permission to do so...

If I read a review that critiques a Plug-in or software, etc, can I summarize and post the finding?

I think it is ok to comment on a review of anything. What is not ok is paraphrasing the content of the review.

Just my 2 cents on it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Patron

Anything in a book or magazine, photo or article, is copyright protected and can not be reproduced without written permission of the owner. Almost all mags and books have that in a fine print statement near the front or rear cover. But even if it is not visible, the copyright laws are still effective.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2006, 09:09 PM

I somewhat agree with both of you, but I have also read article in other publications where the person quotes sentences and paragraphs taken from other articles. I would think if you used quotes and provided a reference you could do the same in a forum. What is the difference? I'm not sure what is done with respect to photographs except what you say...obtain permission. I also assume one couldn't just scan the eyes of a photo for posting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog
.......but I have also read article in other publications where the person quotes sentences and paragraphs taken from other articles....
That's the "fair use" argument.

This is a grey undefined area. It's a great idea and everybody thinks they know what's legal and what's not - until the quoted party calls in a good lawyer.

Unless you don't have anything much to lose (which isn't the case at RetouchPRO) best steer clear.

Last edited by byRo; 11-28-2006 at 04:10 AM. Reason: karnt spel riet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow