RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

AVI to JPEG

Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 AM

AVI to JPEG

AVI to JPEG.

Hi.

A customer has brought in a SD card for prints to be made. Unfortunately he had his camera set to movie mode so every picture is an AVI file.

Can anyone think of a quick way to convert the first frame of each AVI file into a JPEG?

I can convert these with Pinnacle Studio but it is a slow process. It would be great if there were a way to batch run these.

Thanks

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Patron

Re: AVI to JPEG

If you have Roxio Easy Media Creator you can use the DVD create tool and drag the videos onto the timeline strip. Then position the timeline cursor to the beginning of each panel and click the camera icon which will take a snapsot of whichever frame you happen to be parked on. I had to do this to extract 30 still photos of people and it only took a few minutes.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi Murray

Thanks for the reply

I donít have Roxio but Pinnacle Studio will do the same thing.

I was hoping there may be a way to batch them as there are about 80 to do
I will wait to see if anyone has a batch method before I start doing them one by one

Thanks

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 12:28 PM

him
I don't know of any program that will completely automate what your after but a program I have, which would be a lot faster than using a movie editing program is a program called gwspro (graphic workshop pro) from alchemymindworks.com

note: gwspro is a graphic viewer conversion programs with tons of extra features...

the procedures quite simple...
1. tag all the avi that involved
2. then chose convert>jpg
3. then tell it what folder you want or keep in the same folder the frame copy
note: there will be a comment window come up but can be bypass or that can be turned off, from the configuration section
4. at this point when it open the avi will give a list of frames titles and it always hilights on first frame (in this case that good for you) .. just hit click ok or hit return. that will be that first frame that copied!
5. then it will automatically load the next avi and your repeat the process...

I did a test run of about 10 short avi's and was able to do about 10 in less that 30 sec's.. of course a lot larger avi will change that time number....

like i said this with gwspro it shareware, but the copy you download for trial, is fully operational, no crippling..... another program to look at which may use the same procedures is xnview (freeware) from xnview.com it looks like a clone of gwspro that why I think it would do the same thing.. but not sure..

anyway hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
AVI to JPEG.

Hi.

A customer has brought in a SD card for prints to be made. Unfortunately he had his camera set to movie mode so every picture is an AVI file.

Can anyone think of a quick way to convert the first frame of each AVI file into a JPEG?

I can convert these with Pinnacle Studio but it is a slow process. It would be great if there were a way to batch run these.

Thanks

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 PM

Hi Jerry.

I downloaded gwspro and it worked perfectly Thanks for the instructions.

Thatís a very nice little program. Iíve added it to my Christmas List (Unless anyone comes up with a cheaper one)
Itís even got RAW support plug-ins and a screen capture utility.

If anyone wants to try it its available here
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwspro.html

The program made all the JPEGs and a *.thn file (which I just deleted)

The quality is not very good but that is not the fault of the program. Digital cameras shoot video at a lower resolution than the stills. At least my customer will get some pictures.

Thanks.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM

hi,
Your welcome..... glad it worked for you... on those preview thumbnails, you can have the program make a graphic file catelog that can be printed, of all the thumbnails of a folder...

any way there just a lot there.... and the manual there is fairly good just wish it wasn't in html format.. grr smile..

Quote:
Hi Jerry.

I downloaded gwspro and it worked perfectly Thanks for the instructions.

Thatís a very nice little program. Iíve added it to my Christmas List (Unless anyone comes up with a cheaper one)
Itís even got RAW support plug-ins and a screen capture utility.

If anyone wants to try it its available here
http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/gwspro.html

The program made all the JPEGs and a *.thn file (which I just deleted)

The quality is not very good but that is not the fault of the program. Digital cameras shoot video at a lower resolution than the stills. At least my customer will get some pictures.

Thanks.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 06:57 PM

Hi.

I have just tried XnView. There is an extra called NConvert for batch processing.

Download them both together from the bottom of this page (6.8mb)

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnvi...dwin32.html#nc

This Program will also extract AVI frames (In fact it will extract every frame of an AVI file to a JPEG)

I am sure this program could do the job but it may require a script. Has anyone tried this?

This is a Fantastic program at the price. Definitely a keeper.

Thanks for this link as well Jerry.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2006, 07:51 PM

hi,
your welcome... for the price you can't beat it... irfanview is also free but the last time I used it I didn't like it's gui that much..

as far as batch processing that builtin gwspro , no plugin needed...

but on the extracting of frames, gwspro will do only one , of your choice , at a time... if i need to extract all the frames from a avi i use my gifcon (gif construction) to do that...

should be interesting what your eval of both of them are after you looked at all the features that each can do... smile...
Quote:
Hi.

I have just tried XnView. There is an extra called NConvert for batch processing.

Download them both together from the bottom of this page (6.8mb)

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnvi...dwin32.html#nc

This Program will also extract AVI frames (In fact it will extract every frame of an AVI file to a JPEG)

I am sure this program could do the job but it may require a script. Has anyone tried this?

This is a Fantastic program at the price. Definitely a keeper.

Thanks for this link as well Jerry.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow