Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

[Definition] Dry mounting

Old 02-09-2002, 03:07 AM
[Definition] Dry mounting

What is it and does it cost a fortune to do?

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2002, 03:58 AM
Dry mounting usually refers to heat-activated mounting. A sheet of pure adhesive (no backing) is placed between the photo and the mounting board. Then heat and pressure are applied to melt the sheet and affix the photo. Photos are usually "tacked" in position first with a small "tacking iron". Many dry mounting sheets allow for release or repositioning when reheated.

There are many dry mounting sheets that are considered archival. Many variables such as melting temperature and release characteristics need to be taken into consideration when choosing a dry mounting tissue.

The primary expense with dry mounting is the press. There are fairly serious pieces of equipment since they need to produce both heat and pressure. Differences in models include size of "platen" (the actual mounting surface), available pressure, and the variability and reliability of the heat source. Smaller presses can be used for larger mounting by doing sections. You'll also need a tacking iron, a cooling weight (must be larger than your largest photo), protective release sheets (prevents sticking and marring of the photo) and other less expensive items.

There are sheets and sprays that don't require heat. These are generally referred to as "cold mounting". I've personally had very bad luck with these systems, but they do have their fans.

It's been quite some time since I've been involved in this area, but "Seal" used to be one of the best brandnames for dry mounting presses and materials.

As usual, Light Impressions is a good source for materials today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2002, 12:51 AM

Instructions can be found at

This is a good web site for anyone in our business to bookmark for more reasons than one!

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 AM
Thanks Doug and Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2003, 02:54 PM
I know this is a REALLY old topic (like 2001) but i thought i'd post anyways... check out your local Hobby Lobby ( and get your drymounting done there. I work at one of them and the work is great and the price is great too! The cost is $0.30 per united inch... to figure add the width and the height (for example 24" + 36" = 60 ui) then multiply by .3 (60 x .3 = $18) and you get your cost. They also use vacuseal presses which heat to any temp and seal w/ 24psi of pressure. And can do pieces as big as 40" x 60" My advice... go to the lobby

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow