RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Pls Help: Can you resize JPEG...

Old 01-25-2007, 03:05 PM

Exclamation Pls Help: Can you resize JPEG...

I am working on a client photo that is a large JPEG file (300 dpi 2848x4288). It is slowing my system sooooo much, I can barely work on it. Is this is a common problem for others? Is there a way to safely downsize the image while working on it and then resize it back to its original state without affecting the high res of the photo? ...or do you just grin and bear it?

Is increasing virtual memory the way to go? If so, how do you figure out the proper numbers to do this?

I'm stuck...please help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Re: Pls Help: Can you resize JPEG...

As far as working with images, that is not all that big a file (roughly 35 M).

Did you putor used to handle things like this with no problem?

If this is the first time you have tried with something of this size maybe you need to look at the spec's of your putor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM

Thanks Mike. This is not my first image this size but I usually just grin and bear the slowness. What do I need to look for spec-wise?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM

How much installed memory do you have & what is your processor speed? That may answer the question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 PM

hi,
to me I see no way in reducing the size of the of image without losing details.. and once lost, there gone so resizing upwards afterwards not going to help...

now as far as the slowdown... I don't know nothing about your system ie; cpu speed, how much ram you presently have, freespace on HD, a coupleof other things... so i can offer only generalities...

1. adding ram can help a lot...especially if you only have 256 or 512...!! adding more ram will help...
2. defragging can help.... by consolidating your space making it easier and little faster for your system to handle large programs and/or files....
3. this is a biggie...programs that startup at windows boot.. they
a. will slow your your system
b. use up your valuable ram....
so disabling those needless programs that startup at boot will get you back some ram and also system be faster...... now along with this.... if your notusing the internet you may want to temp disable your virus scanners and any other programs running.... virus scanners (especially norton and mcafee) they'll eatup about 4-9% of your speed!!!! and a couple of antispyware programs like spysweeper they eatup alot of your speed!!
note I am assuming you have done AV and antispyware scanning to make sure no malware is the causes.. smiling...

to cleanup your background programs you can disable things from your msconfig.exe>startup tab.... now the following article is very good... on managing your startup programs and give links to guidlines that tells you which you need or not....
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...S&bJumpTo=True

on virtual memory, unless you have changed settings.. windows automatically adjust virtual memory if required!! ... so there is n't a real need to play around with the numbers... the exception is if the hd is starting to get full...

and if the drive is starting to get full then suggest first cleaning out all the garbage files you don't need... and maybe start thinking of 2nd hard drive to store your projects... in addition.. you can use that 2nd hard drive to also setup the photoshop scratch disk on... not too familiar with that but been told that helps...

well those are my thoughts.. hope there helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltek
I am working on a client photo that is a large JPEG file (300 dpi 2848x4288). It is slowing my system sooooo much, I can barely work on it. Is this is a common problem for others? Is there a way to safely downsize the image while working on it and then resize it back to its original state without affecting the high res of the photo? ...or do you just grin and bear it?

Is increasing virtual memory the way to go? If so, how do you figure out the proper numbers to do this?

I'm stuck...please help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 PM

What JerryB said!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Jerryb, Thank you for all that. I've attached my system information. Is my RAM (or lack thereof) the cause of the slow down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system.jpg (87.9 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 PM

plus...

If things start off quick and then get slower later on, could be that PS is filling your precious memory with a load of junk.

Save your work, shut down PS, have a cup o' coffee, open up again.

(Even if it isn't quicker, it will certainly seem quicker - though that may be the effect of the coffee.)

plus...

Go easy on the layers. Each one is a new copy of the image and will quickly eat up your memory. Adjustment layers come cheap though - until you add a mask

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM

256M is the bare minimum for Windows XP.

Unless you upgrade at least another 512M, PS will crawl with any image bigger than RetouchPRO samples (+-800 x 600px).

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks byRo.

What is meant by and the difference btwn "total physical memory" "total virtual memory" "page file space" -- I see where physical memory is 256 but what do the others mean? mostly nothing? So is physical memory all that really counts? If so, then I guess I'll be upgrading.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow