Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Scanning Glass Negatives

Old 02-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Re: Scanning Glass Negatives

I am now seriously considering the Epson 4990 scanner. One question I have is, will it scan normal documents? Can I also use it as a normal scanner? The Epson website mentions "the flexibility of a flatbed scanner" but that does not really tell me what I need to know.
I have not found any store locally that handles the 4990, one store does sell the 4490. On that basis I may have to order the scanner on the internet. What website would you great folk recommend?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM

I did not have much success with scanning glass negs, and not volume enough to warrant purchasing new scanner! I found that putting them on a lightbox and photographing them with ordinary digital camera on macro produced quite acceptable results.

not having a light box I improvised this by simply putting a sheet of white A4 onto an overhead projector screen, gave 80 watts of light via a fresnel lens. improvements would have been to mask around the glass negative, work in a dark room, and put black cloth over the rest of the ohp optics. a mounting for the camera would have been good too.

an example of the result is attached; this is one of the better results - enough detail to show the individual tiles on the roof, but crucially recognise the people in the image - my grandparents and uncles, the photo taken probably around 1918ish, and is off a glass neg.approx 100mm x 75mm I have used irfanview to crop it, convert to greyscale and from negative to positive, reduced in size, and saved at jpg compression of 49 to reduce the file size for the upload, so the original 1.49 MB was much better. I've made no adjustment of either contrast or brightness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT2090 reduced.jpg (83.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2090 detail.jpg (52.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

is it possible to use a dell photo 924 printer/scanner to print glass negatives,and if yes,how?thank you
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow