RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Wacom questions

Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Wacom questions

I've not used a Wacom tablet, but am considering getting one. My questions:

1. Does the finished product (restored photo) actually come out looking better if you use a tablet instead of clicking on screen with your mouse? Or, is the reason people like the Wacom because it cuts down on your work time?

2. What actually is the reason for the different tablet sizes? From their website it looks as though you still see the full size of your photo on your monitor, so I just wondered what the advantage of the bigger tablet size is.

I read a previous thread on the Wacom and it sounds really interesting, and hope I've not asked questions that have already been answered before, but I'm really curious and don't want to buy before I know what I'm buying. Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Re: Wacom questions

I would say that by using tablet u are one step closer to being a pro...

and when you are able to tell the difference between using wacom and other 3 class brands, then u may say that you are another step closer being a pro ...

I didn't meant to be rude, but that is how things worked out in my case...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 PM

I don't know that using a Wacom makes you a "pro", but it sure does make working in a digital editing program more intuitive and easier. To me it's just a lot more natural when using the pen tool or painting on a mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I don't know that using a Wacom makes you a "pro",
i didn't meant to sound like that, but that knowing the difference bettween wacom and other tables get you closer beeing a pro... And to know that natural feeling in your fingers tells the difference...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi,

1. If you can work as accurately with your mouse - then of course there's no difference in the final output. I like (or rather, love) mine because :

- I can work for hours without getting as much strain on my wrist
- It's just more precise (at least for me)
- I love the two buttons on the pen on my Wacom (configurable)
- It's just more natural
- And yes, I do work faster with it

Try drawing a circle with your mouse.. Now try with a pen ;-)

2. The difference is mainly the "tablet to screen size ratio". Meaning if you e.g. have a 24" screen and an A5 tablet for every inch you move on the tablet you move further than if you had an A4 tablet. Hmm.. did that make any sense? Anyway it's a tradeoff between being accurate and having too much tabletspace to move around on. I find that an A5 wide is the one that suits me best (on a 24" wide screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajenna View Post
I've not used a Wacom tablet, but am considering getting one. My questions:

1. Does the finished product (restored photo) actually come out looking better if you use a tablet instead of clicking on screen with your mouse? Or, is the reason people like the Wacom because it cuts down on your work time?

2. What actually is the reason for the different tablet sizes? From their website it looks as though you still see the full size of your photo on your monitor, so I just wondered what the advantage of the bigger tablet size is.

I read a previous thread on the Wacom and it sounds really interesting, and hope I've not asked questions that have already been answered before, but I'm really curious and don't want to buy before I know what I'm buying. Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Peer K,

Thank you! That was what I was trying to find out. I've never even seen one demonstrated, so I was just really wondering about it. It's good to know you can work faster. I was hoping that was the case. So when I get ready to buy one I'll keep that in mind about the tablet to screen size ratio.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 09:10 PM

Hi Diana...If you have any doubts about spending too much on a Wacom (and I did) try a Wacom Volito 2. I bought one a while since from PC World for 35 UK pounds, a bagin, but you can get them even cheaper now, that way if you don't like it you've not spent too much.
Myself, I love it, easy to install and use, and so much better and quicker than trying to use a mouse.
Hope this helps.....John
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2007, 09:42 PM

its all about the tablet ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2007, 06:58 AM

Wrist strain and control is what you will hear the most. But like anything else, it's all what you get used to and like. I've left handed, so I have my pen in my left hand and my mouse in my right. Works pretty neat! As far as being able to look at a finished product and tell it was done better because a tablet was used.....nope one wouldn't be able to do that.

About the size, if you end up buying one you later feel is too big, you can adjust the size the usable portion on the tablet. Some stay with smaller tables because the room or their working area, others don't want to run their hand over the larger area of the tablet. Again, it's all in one's preferences, that's why they have different sizes. Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 AM

Thanks everybody. This is all very informative. Now I just need to decide whether to go for it or not.

Diana
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow