RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Giclee - What are some good sites?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Re: Giclee - What are some good sites?

Skydog, if are you asking about where to find a giclee printer, they are everywhere. It has become a cottage industry. Most local art leagues and artists associations have contacts with local giclee printers. The June issue of Art World News has several informative articles on digital printing, including one titled, Choosing the Right Fine Art Giclee Printmaker. You can read the entire issue online. I suggest if you thinking about the print market, you should be reading this magazine.

Another way to get Giclee prints made is to join ImageKind. At this site, you can upload your digital files and the company will produce them on demand for your or your customers in the size they want. They have a gallery where consumers can shop for your work. Kind of one-stop selling, printing and fulfillment all in one place. IK and sites like it are the future for many artists and photographers who would otherwise be stuck trying to figure out how to make a dent in the traditional print market. BTW, IK is hooked up with Flickr and has lots of photographers using its services.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2007, 07:54 PM

I've heard of Imagekind.com and Art.com. Nice looking sites
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 PM

There are many sites on the web where one can have a photo printed. I've gotten great results when I've used White House and Ezprints...both were recommended by other photographers. This is why I asked about a giclee site...some may already have experience with the quality, the service and the price and as a result, can make a recommendation. This is what I was seeking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Yes quality, price and service are very important to me as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Last night at the Adobe Photoshop Users Group, I heard Mike Chambers talk about printing and color management. His company, Print Element, located in Santa Clara, CA specializes in high end print work including giclee.

He's very knowledgeable and brought a couple of sample prints on canvas to show us his work.

You might want to check out his web site or give him a call.
His phone number is (408) 969-0084

http://pictureelement.com/index.php

beaucamera
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Patron

http://www.dpandi.com/giclee/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 03:05 PM

always an interesting discussion...
in fact, a very important one in my opinion

more so, since—as has been pointed out along the way—many folks with very fine and capable home printing systems are now calling their work/results giclée prints... I am personally very opinionated about that—but, more power to them... if they are getting their work seen and are selling work as artists—terrific

my feelings, understanding, and acceptance of the of the giclée printing process go back to seeing Jack Duganne and members of his Duganne Ateliers staff [duganne.com] at a three-day ThunderLizard Photoshop Conference at the Hyatt Regency [I believe it was] back in 2000... my understanding was that this conferencet was the first time a Photoshop event/conference had a "Fine Art" focus with both artists and printers such as Jack Duganne as featured speakers...

even back then, there were featured artists who did their own printing/printmaking—there's great satisfaction as an artist in doing so

I was impressed in the notion, and presentation, of the giclée printmaking process as described by the folks at Duganne Ateliers... Jack Duganne had not only coined the term giclee, he had done some impressive, pioneering, digital printmaking for Graham Nash at Nash Editions [nasheditions.com]—another prestigious choice for digital printmaking. I would hope that you find a similar experience at the local printer you choose.

I still dream of taking a series of images through the process [as they described it back then]:

Quote:
Bringing the traditions of fine art printmaking into the world of creative digital imaging, our goal it to explore and further develop many exciting new types of printmaking. We see the magic in art stimulated by technology. The Duganne Ateliers process nurtures the creative relationship between the artist and the printmaker. The traditional collaboration between the artist and the master printer is just as essential today, in the digital electronic process, as it was when working on lithography stone or printing plate. It is the synergy between artist, printmaker, and media that contributes to the final signed work of printed art.

We begin with the vision of the artist. The representation of that vision could be in the form of an original piece of artwork done in any traditional media, photograph, or digital image. The original art is entered into our system via scanning or copying. The first of many transformations occurs as the artist and printmakers work with the images on the new 'electronic printing plate' of the computer workstation.
From these beginnings, the images are further converted to forms which can be proofed on various types of printers available at Duganne Ateliers. The proof is the only standard used at Duganne Ateliers to determine how an image should look either on the screen or in print. Color and form, shade and intensity, contrast and brilliance -- these are some of the many factors altered during the proofing stage which make the print come alive as the final vision of the artist unfolds.
Once a final color proof is printed and approved by the artist, it is designated as a B.A.T. from the French printmaking term 'bon á tirer' meaning 'good to print'. This proof is initialed and dated by the artist and placed in dark storage at Duganne Ateliers. It will be the print to which all other prints in that edition are matched. Using the B.A.T. as our guide, Duganne Ateliers proceeds with the printing of the final prints. After printing, we can apply either an invisible light and water-resistant coating, or , another, more durable and waterproof coating in a gloss, satin, or flat overprint varnish. These coatings are applied by incorporating silk-screen printing, roller coating, or spraying. The prints are then curated (cleaned), chopped (our embossing seal applied), interleaved with archival sheeting, and packed and shipped or held for pick-up here at the studio.

please note, I have no affiliation with Duganne Ateliers...
my point is only that I find there is 'value added' to the print—for both myself, and the purchaser—in having the printing process completed by professionals, rather than on my own home-studio professinal equipment

moreover, I feel there is 'value added' for the purchaser in the controls and gaurantees of a professional printmaker... perhaps even more value may be added to the print, if it is done by a printer with some level of prestige or renown in the artworld...

bottom line, the images and artwork need to first speak for themselves

best of luck to you in your printmaking process!

cheers~

-Walt
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM

I found this article on wordpress, through digg i think,
http://giclee.wordpress.com/

I wonder if you can do wall size giclee, like a mural or something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentArtMaster View Post
I wonder if you can do wall size giclee, like a mural or something.
this would certainly be very much dependent on your files, and your equipment's ability to handle the size

the best example I know of, for someone working this large professionally is Stephen Johnson who has been a pioneer in the field high resolution digital photography [he was working with a prototype BetterLight Scanning Camera (7520x6000 pixels, 12 bit) back in 1994]... he has done wall-sized murals and panoramic prints, and he's able to offer prints of his work as large as 40x50 matted to 52x63—which is pretty darn huge
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 AM

You might find someone who prints using sublimation and set your file up in strips for wallpaper.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow