RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

web color consistency

Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 AM

web color consistency

Hi all.

Been struggling with getting my images to look consistent through photoshop and all web browsers.

i'm on a mac and it seems to me that only safari displays my images correctly when i embed an rgb profile that photoshop uses as the default.

i'd like to be able to work on an image and know for sure that what i'm seeing in photoshop will appear the same way in all other browsers.

your advice on this is appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Re: web color consistency

i've read the same thing, that only Safari on the mac or windows XP will properly show the profile in a jpeg:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
I'm sure someone else with actual knowledge will chime in, but what
i do, is under view->proof setup i choose monitor RGB.

Make some adjustments so it looks right to me, then goto save for web.

From what i (think i) know, save for web removes any colour profile.
Apparently most browsers won't use a profile, but safari will, so you're
seeing your colour profile with safari, but not with others.

I could be totally wrong on this, but it *seems* to work for me.

thanks for the tip! i'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Safari is a color managed browser, hence can translate the numbers into colors as you intended when running the image through photoshop. Anything that is not a color managed program (IE, Mozilla, and so on) will display the images using the sRGB values which if you are using something like aRGB or larger, will make the image look flat and lifeless... and certainly not correct. Anything you want displayed on your screen should be converted to the sRGB color space prior to saving it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM

even after saving a file with the srgb profile, i still find that other browers besides safari display the image correctly. I did notice that these non color managed browsers will just display the image with the monitor profile your computer is using.

for example, since i'm on mac and the display settings is using "color lcd" profile, that's how the image will be viewed through firefox, as if that "color lcd" profile was attached to the image, Even though the image has a completely different embedded profile or is untagged.

so taking Captain's advice, i simply change my proof setup in photoshop to my current monitor display profile and that gives me a preview of how the image will look on all the browsers as i do my color corrections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, jacknick, but every monitor on the planet is different. So what if it looks "right" on your screen? As soon as somebody else views your images on their screen, it'll use their monitor profile, which will be different.

It's just one of those things, I'm afraid. Until all browsers catch up with Safari and become colour-managed, there's no real answer. And even when they do, only a tiny percentage of viewers will actually have their monitor calibrated, so it won't make an ounce of difference anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, jacknick, but every monitor on the planet is different. So what if it looks "right" on your screen? As soon as somebody else views your images on their screen, it'll use their monitor profile, which will be different.

It's just one of those things, I'm afraid. Until all browsers catch up with Safari and become colour-managed, there's no real answer. And even when they do, only a tiny percentage of viewers will actually have their monitor calibrated, so it won't make an ounce of difference anyway.
i wasn't concerned with color consistency with the various monitors out there. My initial concern was getting MY web browsers to match what i was seeing in photoshop. If the image looks good in photoshop, and it's consistent in all browsers, and my monitor is calibrated properly then I realize that's the best best i can do.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow