RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Batch EPS to Jpeg

Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Batch EPS to Jpeg

Hi

I have been sent 3 CD's full of EPS Images created on a Mac.

I can open the files in Photoshop but the default size is very small. I can change the size in Photoshop and save as a jpeg.

I have also downloaded Ghostscript and GhostView which will also open the files.

What I can't find is a way to Batch convert these files.

As you can imagine doing 3 Cds containing thousands of images is going to take days.

I tried IrfavView but unfortunately it tells me that it can only open EPS files that have an embedded Tif/wmf inside.

I also downloaded a coulple of batch conversion programs but the trials will only allow me to do 6 at once, so this is still going to take hours.

I also tried PS7 Batch>Automate but I still have to open each file and change the dimensions. So it is no quicker.

I hope you can help

Thanks

Ken.

I have attached a sample image which I have had to zip as RetouchPRO will not allow EPS uploads.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1013.zip (29.0 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Re: Batch EPS to Jpeg

Ken, Your file is an Illustrator EPS (vector) file. It can be resized in Illustrator and retain the vector information or you can place it in Photoshop as a smart object and resized there.

My advise is NOT to convert them to anything else. Leave them as vector images. The minute you convert them to JPG or rasterize them, you lose any further ability to resize them or scale them. Instead, I would find a way to print out the previews as small thumbnails and cone bind or put them in a ring binder for future reference then pull them up from the CD as you need them. There are a number of ways you can do this. Extensis Portfolio will make a screen catalog for you which you may opt to print out or keep as a digtal catalog. Or break them down in to managable size folders of 100 or so files and use Photoshop's Contact sheet. You can also view or make a catalog from Adobe Bridge (Again, I would break them down in to managable sized folders for this).

I can't tell you how much money I've spent over the years to get good vector clipart. Don't distroy it by rasterizing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Janitor

Will they all be resized to the same size? You can change the size when opening in Photoshop, so that could be an action. Just record using Open As and select Generic EPS.

You'll probably also want to convert to RGB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Hi Swampy

These images look great because they will resize as big as required and I will definitely keep the original files. However I need to put all these images onto web pages. I need a small (80x80) gif and a 600x600 jpg from each.

I tried Paint Shop Pro as well which also has a batch but it does not have a script to resize so the jpegs come out too small.

PS7 does not have Smart Objects but I can still resize it. I just can't automate it.

Hi Doug

That sounds like it may work. I did not know I could add the sizing to an action.
I will try that now.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Hi Doug

Thanks.
It is working perfectly.

I created an action to
open a EPS file
Size it to 600 pixels wide
Save as Jpeg

Then I went to Automate > Batch and included the action,
It was important to check the boxes to let the action override the load and save.

It's running now. I hope I don’t run out of disk space.

Thanks Again

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Janitor

Don't forget to verify if CMYK JPGs are appropriate for your needs (they probably aren't). Otherwise, convert to RGB somewhere in the chain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Yes Doug, I noticed they were CMYK. In PS7 there is a 'Mode' box in the size box. So they can be imported as RGB without an extra convert step.

Thanks.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow