RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Pink tinge when printing on photo paper

Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 AM

Re: Pink tinge when printing on photo paper

This is only my opinion/theory, but I just think that is an unfixable problem with alot of pritners unless you go higher end with a printer that has multiple black inks.

The reason I say that is I've had that problem, on multiple computers/printers, for about the past 4 years until I just upgraded to the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 MarkII. The 9500 has 3 black inks in it, Photo Black, Black and Grey. From day one prints have been coming out 100% black, with not color tints whatsoever. I'm convinced it's multiple blacks that make this work.

In the past, I would try fixing the Magenta balance in the printer dialouge, what would always happen would be that color would start to shift overall to a green or blue tint, while still maintaining a slight magenta tint as well. As if the inks just couldn't produce true unsaturated colors.

LIke I said, it's just my thoughts but my recent upgrade has convinced me of this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Just dragging color sliders in the print dialogue is a bad solution that will never give accurate results - the only way to get the right colors would be to print using the correct print profile (worst case scenario you have to make one yoruself to get a good result) - and with printer settings to match.

It's perfectly possible to print neutral grey using CMYK inks (worst case scenario print only using the black ink). With your newer printer it's quite possible that it is better calibrated to print well out-of-the-box with default settings (best results is still like i quoted above and repeated in a tutorial).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM

yeah, I know adjusting the printer sliders is not a good solution, but after doing everything correctly (setting up profiling correctly and everything, even trying telling it to print greyscale) it would never be 100% neutral, it was always pink tinted. Could've just been the printer possibly...it wasn't very high end, an Espon Stylus R300. Although I remember having the identical problem with the printer in the lab in college too though..it was a wide format Epson, but I don't remember the model.

Well, anyway, I guess i'm not really contributing anything useful to this thread so I'll leave it for people that have actual advice about the problem haha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Patron

Chain and Itsallgoode9, not sure why you want to perpetuate this thread. Molko, the OP, posted it almost 1 year ago and never came back to this thread or any other at RP.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 10-05-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM

we posted because "Coopers_PaleAle" post on June '09 about having this same issue...which obivously is a reoccouring issue

There is nothing wrong with posting in old threads like this...even if the OP is long gone, it does not mean that somebody else cannot be helped by a solution to this topic.

We could've ignored "Coopers_PaleAle" request for help, just because this thread was old and that would've benefited nobody. There is no reason to have 19 threads about Red color cast if one thread filled with lots of usefull information will suffice. I had chimed in because I wanted to find out the outcome since I have had this exact problem myself, with no luck fixing it other than upgrading my printer. Hope that doesn't come off mean/snarky, it's not meant too be

I'd like to hear if Sweetlight or Coopers got thier problem fixed and if so, what solution worked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Did you create your own printer profile or did you just use one given to you by the manufacturer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 12:33 AM

I had always used profiles provided by the manufacturer...unfortunatly getting harware for printer calibration/profiling is not in my budget right now.

Are the manufacturer's profiles fairly accurate? I guess if there's any weird color tints doing a custom profile would fix that, but if everything looks fairly accurate there's no need to custom profile?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 05:26 AM

It all depends on how picky you are. My mother just presses print no matter what paper/profiles are used. :P

The manufacturer profiles will usually provide fairly good results on a new printer, with the manufaturer's ink and paper (as used in the profile). If not you are out of luck if you don't have access to calibration equipment and need more accurate colors. The more picky you get about accurate color the more variables come into play (e.g. avoid sunlight, keep a stable humidity, etc.). The color a printer reproduces can easily change a over time.

One example: We have two large-format printers of the same type here at work (in the same room, using the same ink and paper). If we calibrate one and use that calibration profile for both printers they will print slightly different colors. They have to be calibrated separately (and we are picky so we let them auto-calibrate daily).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum but I have the exact same problem (black and white prints have a red/pinkish tint). However, when I print the same B&W image onto regular paper, the print doesn't have this red tint. I'm using Epson Premium Glossy photo paper for the prints, and I've also tried printing onto Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, with the same red/pinkish tint on both. I've set my color management just like Chain suggested with the same result. However, I'm not sure what kind of printer profile I should choose when in Photoshop, it has my printer model (Canon PIXMA iP4700) and then GL2/SG2. There's also some other options such as MP2 and PR1, but I have no clue on what those mean :P

So if anyone could chime in I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 AM

mondev: sounds like you have the wrong paper selected somewhere; that it tries to print on the photo paper like it is regular paper perhaps?

Sounds like you're on the right track tho.
Here's the tutorial I wrote for how to print it: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/inde...&id=346&page=2

1. I believe GL is what your Canon photo paper plus glossy II (horrible name?) is called in the profiles. The number is the quality you are printing at (choose the lowest number; probably 2 or 1). Low number = better quality.

2. Now, it is VERY important to also when you are done choosing the profile and stuff in Photoshop choose the settings in the printer driver like I showed. There you must choose the correct paper type (first), then turn off all automatic image adjustment/calibration, and set the quality to high (or manually set it to the number you chose in the profile).

...If you still get too much of a tint on 4-color black and white images you could try printing it as 1-color/grayscale. Should be an option for that in the printer driver where you select the paper/color/quality. Note that this will not give as much contrast...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow