RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

Pink tinge when printing on photo paper

Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Re: Pink tinge when printing on photo paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
mondev: sounds like you have the wrong paper selected somewhere; that it tries to print on the photo paper like it is regular paper perhaps?

Sounds like you're on the right track tho.
Here's the tutorial I wrote for how to print it: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/inde...&id=346&page=2

1. I believe GL is what your Canon photo paper plus glossy II (horrible name?) is called in the profiles. The number is the quality you are printing at (choose the lowest number; probably 2 or 1). Low number = better quality.

2. Now, it is VERY important to also when you are done choosing the profile and stuff in Photoshop choose the settings in the printer driver like I showed. There you must choose the correct paper type (first), then turn off all automatic image adjustment/calibration, and set the quality to high (or manually set it to the number you chose in the profile).

...If you still get too much of a tint on 4-color black and white images you could try printing it as 1-color/grayscale. Should be an option for that in the printer driver where you select the paper/color/quality. Note that this will not give as much contrast...
Thanks for the reply. I tried using the settings that you've suggested, and still got similar results. I printed a couple of test pages, and the best results that I've seen was when I chose "Printer manages colors".

With that the B/W image looks closest to the original on the PC screen. When I choose "Photoshop manages colors", I get a sort of greenish tint; when I choose a color image and print it in grayscale, I get a sort of redish tint. But when the printer manages the colors it seems to be with almost no tint at all, maybe a slight blueish tint which makes it look the best.

Bear in mind that these tints are HARDLY noticeable, that's just the best description I can give of how the photos differ from the original on the PC screen. Anyway thanks again for your suggestions, they've been helpful!

P.S. if you're thinking about buying the Canon PIXMA iP4700, don't hesitate! The prints are amazing in color, and in B/W are just as great (with the right settings)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Also here's a quick comparison of how the different settings look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mparison-1.jpg

This was the image printed for all except the grayscale setting:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/Original.jpg

This one was printed in grayscale:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...riginalClr.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM

And you are sure all the settings in the printer driver is correct (besides the Photoshop print settings)? Original inks?

If so there isn't much more to do besides experimenting and just going with whatever gets you the closest to what you want – or to actually calibrate the printer (making your own profile – this requires hardware, something like http://www.colormunki.com/).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM

Dear Mondev, I have been reading (and recognizing) your experiences with interest. I am mainly interested in black and white and was disappointed by the color casts on my old canon S900. Now, this printer has something that the ip4700 does not have - if I reaad all the postings on the web and the online manual: true black and white printing. If you check the grayscale button, the printer dithers in black and does NOT use any of the colour cartridges. GREAT, great colour. REALLY excellent and even. Of course, if you don't like the tint, there is no way to change it, but at least it is very even, without any cast, also not under artificial lighting.
However, the S900 is only 2400x1200 and the dots are clearly visible. So my reasoning was: let's upgrade to a 9600dpi printer and the results should be stunning. Right? Apparently not, since everyone who checked confirm that colours are mixed in and a cast is apparent, as you also clearly noted.
Now, I have seen a 'solution' or maybe better, a suggestion to a solution: it was suggested to upscale the picture to pref. 9600 dpi, but this might be too much (HUGE drain on memory), but otherwise to say 4800dpi, than convert to bitmap B/W and than print.
My question would be: could you try this and see what happens? If you could confirm that you get a picture with only black drops (I use my macrolens with LiveView on with 10x magnification on my 50D to check this), it could help you in your quest for the perfect BW print, but certainly would make me rush to the store to buy a IP4700.
Anyone else who have tried this or would like to try: I am very curious what your experience is!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Well, I discovered the above cannot be done (I bought myself a IP4700: what an ink guzzler!). What a shame!
I did resolve the pink issue though: if you print on PP-201 you hardly see a tint. On GP-501 (the 'standard' cheaper glossy paper, it is all red). Solution: set your document to RGB, and print with c +5, m-6, y-4, con +20 settings in the print monitor. Perfect prints!
Depending on the type of paper you may have to tweak around.
With hobbicolors I like C-2, M +3, Y -2, contrast +15 a lot...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM

Chain,Thank you for the link to the tutorial and the tutorial itself. After struggling with poor printing results I finally know how to set up my printing to get the best print that my Canon IP4700 can do. This is by far,(and I have read a great deal lately on color management), the best tutorial on the subject for relative novices to Photoshop.
I am forever grateful for your post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback; now I know at least one person has seen it

For those who missed it, the tutorial is posted here on retouchpro:
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/inde...&id=346&page=2
as well as on my own page:
http://resources.rognemedia.no/tutorials/printing.html
...and finally an updated version in Norwegian:
http://adobe.rognemedia.no/index.php?pg=article&id=90

Last edited by Chain; 07-22-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added links.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 AM

Stinkyink now offer ink cartridges for the Canon Pixma IP4700 ink. Oh and it's free delivery!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM

^-- Hello Stinkyink-man...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM

hello, chain.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow