Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Input/Output/Workflow Scanning, printing, color management, and discussing best practices for control and repeatability

File Sizes

Old 10-16-2002, 03:50 AM
I'm currently using a little over 1GB of ram ( swiped the extra from my partners computer when we upgraded that system .. hehe!)

Image sizes can vary from 25mb upto about 300-500mb. I tend to use loads of layers and then some. I've got into a bad habit of duplicating a layer so I don't lose where I've got to - changing the original layer and forgeting about the second one. There is little hope for me I know!

Win98 had bad problems with memory over 512Mb and on there web site if you incounter problems there No.1 solution is take out some ram!!! helpful, NOT.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2002, 09:08 PM
I'm running XP, 2ghz, with 1024 mb of Ram, 22 inch monitor and currently not using a scratch disk. I dedicate about 85% to Photoshop. I've encountered "no" problems if you wonder why I don't have a scratch disk (the extra ram helps). My average file size is probably about 200mb and as high as 500. I have a tendency to keep more layers than necessary also, but I have had "no" problems due to this. I run Norton "file defrag" once a week religiously, and so far so good (imperative if you don't have a scratch disk). I'm one of those that are under the assumption if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Ram is "cheap" at the moment, and to me it seems logical to have as much as you can (seeing Photoshop is a memory hog), providing your operating system is capable of handling it. I guess my point is, RAM is much faster than accessing your hard drive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2002, 12:29 AM
Hi LQQKER, good point.

Scratch disks are important, but they are a band aid, after all.

You often need 3-5 or more times the RAM than the image you are working on, to avoid the scratch disks being used as virtual RAM. So having more physical RAM is better to avoid VM, but if VM is being used - a dedicated disk is considered better.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Input/Output/Workflow